I've never heard about 5 years being a time marker for FELV cats.  I've heard
that kittens born with it will tend to have more
trouble living long lives than cats/kittens that acquire it after birth.  All
just stuff I've heard, of course, no proof.

I have had several FELV cats die at around  2.5 to 3 years of age.  I have 3
FELV cats that are older than 3 years old now, not
sure when they got it.  But one of them is 12-13 years old.

At one point, I felt like daily interferon was a real help to young FELV cats
less than 3 years old.  But then it seemed like if
the schedule changed - doses had to be missed, etc - it was a big problem.  So
now nobody's on interferon alpha, and partly
because I'm so busy.  But everybody's doing well.  The last death I had was
Oliver, who was 12-13-14 that age range.

I don't recall losing any FELV cats at 5 years of age, and have had quite a few
FELV cats.

Now there are different types of FELV virus, so maybe that plays into it.

Hope this helps in some way.

Gloria

out her status post-mortem and through subsequent testing of my other three
cats found one of them (Onyx) to be FeLV+ as well
(Elisa and IFA). The other two (Horus & Blackie) have been vaccinated, and will
be re-tested soon. I did not separate them after
learning that Onyx was + because - well, any of you who mix your +'s and -'s
know why.

Although there is no 100% sure way to know which cat gave the FeLV to the
other, we are working on the assumption that Onyx had it
to begin with and gave it to Cinder. Cinder was 9 weeks old when we adopted
from ACC, and Onyx was about 20 months old at the
time. I got Onyx from a pet store (lesson learned!) and she was in sad shape,
only six weeks old, dehydrated, malnourished, and
with coccidia. I couldn't return her to the people who allowed her to get into
that condition (as suggested by the vet I used at
the time), but for whatever reason, testing her for FeLV never came up. Cinder
was tested at the shelter, and came back negative.
Horus and Blackie both tested negative when they joined our family. At first I
thought Cinder tested false negative because of her
age, but in my many conversations with many, many people it seems more likely
that Onyx had it from birth (or shortly after, she
has never been exposed to FeLV other than with Cinder) and gave it to Cinder
(they were very close as almost as soon as I brought
Cinder home). Cinder developed a URI shortly after leaving the shelter, which
Onyx caught, of course. Onyx had a much harder time
beating the URI, part of which was due to a poorly prescribed antibiotic. I
realize now that it may have been the FeLV that made
it so hard for her to kick it.

So, Onyx is now four years and a couple of months old. She is healthy and
active, and I have been so happy that she seems to be
one of those cats who lives a long time with this virus. Until I spoke to a
woman from a rescue group doing cat adoptions in a
nearby pet store. Through conversation I told Onyx's story and this woman
kindly (hah!) informed me that the life expectancy for a
cat with FeLV in the bone marrow is five years, so while I'm lucky she's
survived this long, I shouldn't expect Onyx to be around
a whole lot longer.

Which brings me to the advice I would like: What are the chances of a cat who
is FeLV+ from birth living past 5? I have been
reading all the posts about LCTI, but I am not clear on whether you start when
they develop symptoms or while they are still
healthy. Does anyone here know if recurrent FLUTD is commonly seen in FeLV+
cats? Horus tested negative and was vaccinated, but
he's lost two pounds in the last month (his appetite seems fine) and is in the
middle of his third bout of FLUTD in as many
months - he's also asthmatic. I am in panic mode right now. Should I re-test
him early? Any advice anyone here can give me would
be very much appreciated.

Avia Rauscher