I wonder if the author of the article has ever actually gone to their FeLV unit and looked at the cats? I certainly hope they don't look like the article says they look, mine don't look like that and they don't all get anemia and don't all get jaundiced. The ones who do get anemia may be lethargic and jaundiced, but it is not an ongoing condition. But you never know, I once asked the vet at BF why they give a monthly sub-q shot of immuno regulin to all the FeLV cats, figured I'd get some good info on IR. WRONG!! The vet said they use it because that is what was being done when he arrived, I believe he doesn't have a clue.

Gary

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gloria B. Lane" <gbl...@aristotle.net>
To: <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 2:36 PM
Subject: [Felvtalk] Article at Bestfriends

I just saw an article at Bestfriends.org which I was surprised and disappointed about:

http://www.bestfriends.org/theanimals/pdfs/cats/catfelv.pdf

The author includes "What happens to a cat who has contracted the virus?"

and says "The virus adversely affects the cat’s bone marrow and immune system. An infected cat becomes anemic and is unable to fight off even routine infections. Cats with feline leukemia are commonly jaundiced and lethargic, and they experience weight
loss, enlarged lymph nodes, and poor stamina."

It sounds like an FELV cat is going to die immediately after getting the virus. So I can see folks reading that article and then euthing their FELV kitties, thinking they're doing them a favor. The 5 FELV cats that I have now haven't seen any sickness since
I've had them.

Gloria