I was in Louisville with Dixie (I have a home there) and I had the luxury of time....my wonderful vets at Middletown Animal Clinic were choking when they phoned me with the news. They kept Dixie safe (I am very sure Dixie didn't feel safe) while I tried to work things out in my mind and for her here in the country. It wasn't ideal. She stayed in a garage for a while and, when she developed a URI, I slept in the garage with her. Time is important. When Dixie left this world she had EVERYTHING!!!!! A big bed in a house on a farm that was designed for cats (wide windowsills, lots of windows, a Person who really didn't care if she scratched the floors (pine so there was never a question of messing up the carpet) etc., travel to Louisville, a Christmas tree designed to her standards (I accept animal communicators and she got a 10 foot tall tree with thousands of lights and hundreds of ornaments and...........needless to say lots of presents). All of this is to say, her life with me was too short. She was several years old when this happened and had been spayed although we never found a scar (I spent a LOT of money having bloodwork done---she kept telling the AC she had been spayed---she had). But she had everything I even thought she might possibly want. Hopefully that made up for the life she had before. A month after she left she sent me a kitten. Two weeks later she sent another one. Both are very healthy and wonderful boys....each twice Dixie's size. Again, all of this is to say, enjoy Whimsy and don't worry too much. Throw away your calendars (this applies to your other cats too) and enjoy your time together. I had another cat, Kitty, who had terminal cancer. I let her and Dixie together. Neither was going to shorten the life of the other. My wonderful vets told me with Kitty and with Dixie to make my decisions (and they were brutally honest and applied the standards they wanted applied to their lives as I did) and not look back.

Peace to all of your friends and to you. I know this is rambling. Dixie left two years ago and I still miss my wonderful girl. The two boys she sent me stay close and were not eaten by the hawk family....
On Feb 24, 2010, at 5:54 PM, Emeraldkittee wrote:

hi Cougar Clan and Dixie-the-Angel-Cat,

Oh, thank you for writing! it warmed my heart! I just came in from having 'dinner w/ Whimsy' and he looks at me so longingly now when I leave him. He's even letting me cut the horrible mattings out of his very long fur now.

Dixie sounds like she was so dear and special, and I am sure the holistic approach aided her tremendously. I wish I had done blood work that day, but when they gave me the news and urged me to put him to sleep and not bother to do the IFA even, I forgot about the chipping, blood work etc. I did put to sleep a beautiful FeLV girl, Gypsy, last year because I was told it was the only thing to do and it appeared she had tumors in her mouth and ears. It never sat right with me, and I regretted it so deeply. I have found out that on this street/block, most ferals have had FeLV going back 20 yrs here. There aren't even colonies, but just random cats - I will see about 3 every year and TNR the ones I can. It seems like a very high rate. One bully male "Sargeant" lasted in the area nearly 3 yrs - very wild - I just saw him in Dec and he was suffering terribly, emaciated, coughing and staggering, but I could not trap him to help him and ease his suffering. I am sure he passed from FeLV. I did witness him attacking Whimsy, who is very passive, and I chased him off. I cringe to think Whimsy might suddenly disappear and I wouldn't be there to help him when it 'was time'.

I hope I can get my guy to agree. paws crossed. Thank you for your input so very much.

Shannon and Whimsy

--- On Wed, 2/24/10, Cougar Clan <maima...@duo-county.com> wrote:

From: Cougar Clan <maima...@duo-county.com>
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] intro
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Date: Wednesday, February 24, 2010, 4:01 PM

The sunroom would be a wonderful solution. Others on this list can address the health issues. If he is separated, I would not be concerned personally. I would have a baseline blood test done (your vet may have already done this.) A few years ago Dixie came into my life much the way Whimsy has come into yours. She was the most wonderful little girl. She remained with me for 3 years. I took her into be spayed and got the awful FeLV news. At that time she was scheduled to be a farm/porch cat. She was a garage cat for a while then became a house cat. I took her to a holistic vet who is totally wonderful and who helped Dixie live a full life until her last minutes. Bless you for taking care of Whimsy. Please bring him into the sunroom. You will enjoy it as much as he does but know that he may hide for a while. New smells, sounds and such.