I have used Gentian Violet for many years for ringworm, and Golden Seal for not quite as long, and both seem to work well. No I don't dilute it, never thought of it, but you might try it. I always start with Golden Seal because it's not as , uh, "purple" as the Gentian Violet, ha! It's also a treatment for thrush in the mouth, but I don't think it's very tempting to use in the mouth, or lick (for a kitty).

Gloria