I agree, totally.  Hooray for your vet!

On Jun 18, 2010, at 7:40 PM, <dlg...@windstream.net> <dlg...@windstream.net > wrote:

I WILL SAY IT AGAIN, THANK GOD FOR MY VET. HE SAYS IF YOU KEEP THE NEGATIVES HEALTHY AND UP TO DATE ON SHOTS IT IS OKAY AND HE IS WILLING TO READ/LISTEN TO ANYTHING I BRING HIM.

---- trmckel...@charter.net wrote:
I couldn't agree more with you, Sharyl. Lots of vets think PTS first with FeLV and FIV. I often think they just don't know any better. The first option my vet offered with my first FeLV+, a beautiful blue-eyed Ragdoll, was PTS, and my vet is very progressive. I also said no way, Selena had already wrapped me around her little paw :-), we'll find other options. I found out about LTCI via websearch, got my vets on board, and now my vets are believers after using it to save an FIV positive male they were pretty sure wasn't going to make it. They wouldn't have known to try it if I hadn't pushed it in the first place.

Terry
---- Sharyl <cline...@yahoo.com> wrote:

=============
A lot depends on the age of the negative cats. Kittens seem more susceptible. I am one of those that has mixed positives and negatives for almost 3 yrs. But my negatives were current on their FeLV vaccine before I started mixing and they get annual booster shots.

It really is an individual decision. My 1st vet wanted to PTS Sissy and Rocket just because they were FeLV+. Then she wanted to notify AC to kill all the cats in the colony I rescued them from. Told her no way were we going to kill Sissy and Rocket and no way was I telling anyone where the colony was. PETA is another group intent on killing all FeLV kitties.

Some never mix and some mix very successfully. I my case I was bringing positive kittens into a home with vaccinated adult negatives. 7 of my 8 positive kittens have now crossed the Rainbow Bridge and there has been to issues with my negative cats.
Sharyl

--- On Mon, 6/14/10, brooklynnat...@charter.net <brooklynnat...@charter.net > wrote:

From: brooklynnat...@charter.net <brooklynnat...@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Blind/Deaf Cat
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Cc: dlg...@windstream.net
Date: Monday, June 14, 2010, 7:38 PM
My vet totally discourages putting
them together.  He said there is too much risk.  I
have 7 other cats that are all healthy and I would love to
be able to have them all be together but I'm afraid.  I
wouldn't want the healthy ones to get sick.  I would
feel so responsible.
---- dlg...@windstream.net
wrote:
Theresa, if you felv kitty is lonely, ask your vet
about mixing him with your other cats.  my veet said
that as long as hey are up on their shots, it is okay and
mine have been mixed for 2 years now with no problems.
sure does make everyone happier.
---- brooklynnat...@charter.net
wrote:
I live in Black Mountain NC and would be more
than happy to give him a home.
I'm really not too familiar with how things are
done here but I have a male that
I rescued from outside that has feline leukemia
and I keep him separated from my
other cats.  I'm sure he would be happy for
the company.  Let me know if you
think it might work.

Theresa Palumbo