Thank you both VERY much for this extremely helpful input--and for
a quick answer for now on one important aspect I absolutely agree on, we
only test rescues/friendlies who we are trying to find homes for, or ferals
who are being treated for serious medical conditions/seeking indoor
placement, etc.  We do not routinely test TNR ferals & also discourage the
practice of doing so, or ever test TNR ferals unless they might not be going
back out or sometimes on a cat in really bad shape the clinic might insist
on it & pay for it (still leaving any decisions to us).

My vet has helped us with a number of FIV & FELV+ cats but I guess the
situation of one in heat when awaiting retesting hasn't come up before.

It has only been 2 weeks since she was first tested but I also considered
just going ahead and re-testing now and using that info to decide on whether
to proceed with spay or not.  I just didn't want to jinx myself by retesting
so soon (I know, jinxes are not scientific so it sounds silly, but my life
seems to so full of them or just bad luck that I worry!)

This sweet little kitty also has a huge objection to the drawing of
blood...it is quite stressful for her.  I'm at work so will re-read & read
the links, thanks for sending!