Anndrea,

First, my greatest sympathy for your current situation.

Second, this is the first email I've seen concerning Lydia so I don't know
anymore than what's in this email.  Here's what I can tell you:

1. felv, especially in younger cats and kittens can be horrible.

2.  The main problems Lydia has, according to lab work, are severe anemia
(hematocrit of 16%) with a very minimal to almost non regenerative anemia
and a lymphocytosis (lots of lymphocytes)

Anemia is defined as low red blood cells - red blood cells carry oxygen and
carbon dioxide, without them you're in trouble.

Regenerative anemia is when your bone marrow is making new red blood cells
(this is evidenced by the presence of nucleated red blood cells i.e.
NRBCs).

The problem Lydia has is that her red blood cell count is very low and her
bone marrow is not effectively making new ones.  The hard part about felv is
that the virus infects the cells of the bone marrow and basically kills
their ability to make new cells or causes them to make cancerous cells.

Red blood cells only live on average three months.  If Lydia does not make
new rbcs her old ones will die and she will become more anemic.  This is why
some people chose to do blood transfusions.  You will have to do
transfusions multiple times and unless there is some way to inhibit the
virus or kill it, the bone marrow will continue to not make healthy rbcs.
There are some variations on this theme and nothing in medicine is one
hundred percent, but I have seen this stage in a felv cat more than once.  I
have never successfully beaten it for any decent period of time.

3.  The additional remarks at the end of your lab work are really just
describing features of rbcs or platelets.  Rouleax means the rbcs are
sticking together, poikliocytosis means the rbcs are irregular in size and
shape.

4.  The elevated lymphocytes suggest either they are attempting to kill the
virus or that there could be a lymphoma.

5.  The bilirubin levels are barely elevated.  If higher they could suggest
liver problems or a process of hemolytic anemia (felv cats often get this
from a hemobartonella infection that infects the rbcs and destroys them)  It
is barely elevated and there was no mention of agglutination of the cells so
I don't think she has this infection.

6.  How you chose to proceed is a difficult question.  Different people have
had different experiences, but mine have never been good once they have
gotten to this point.  You could try all kinds of things like LTCI
injections, mannitol, transfusions, epogen, anemoaid, pet-tinic and others
people in this group could suggest.  For me, I believe we have to try
something new since theses seem to only sporadically work.  If they work
for Lydia that would be absolutely fabulous and I would love to know, step
by step, exactly what you did.

7.  There is something that hasn't been tried, to the best of my knowledge,
by anyone in this group.  It is an herbal tonic comprised of four herbs
known to fight cancer and have multiple other medicinal properties.  There
is no guarantee, but I don't think it would hurt to try.  Unfortunately, you
don't have a whole lot of time to come to a decision.  She is at a low
hematocrit and will need some form of intervention shortly.

I am sorry I don't have more to offer than this, but I pray that it helps
you in some way.  God bless you in this one and if I can help you in any
other way, please let me know.

Jenny