When I adopted my Mandy, I had six other kitties. When I found (the day after I picked her up) that she was positive, I did keep her separated from the other six until I got all their vaccinations up to date. After that, per my vet's opinion/advice, I let them all interact. Mandy passed away about 2 years later but no one else has gotten sick (and Mandy's been gone for a year now).

Pat
----- Original Message ----- From: "Melinda Kerr" <msk...@me.com>
To: <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 5:14 AM
Subject: [Felvtalk] Mixing

OK, I know I am going to get some really strong opinions on this one. What I really want is positive feedback from people who have mixed positives and negatives. My Fuji contacted her FeLV from her mom and it didn't show up on her initial test. We did not know she was positive until a mediastinal mass developed when she was almost a year old. She now receives chemo and is doing really well. Since her first treatment in July, she has never shown any signs of being sick.

Today, I "rescued" a stray that I thought for certain would be positive. However, the initial test was negative. I have the cats separated and intend to vaccinate as soon as one of my vets gets the vaccine in. They have been introduced to each other and seem as though they will get along quite well. Fuji is not a fighter and I cannot see her biting him. Neither of my vets seem to think that mixing them will be a problem.

I read the old threads and saw that many of you have mixed with great results. I did not see any stories of mixing where a vaccinated negative became positive. I'm looking for stories of success or failure. Please share your stories!

Thanks,
Melinda, Fuji and Shadow