I am not certain of the exact protocol.  At one time I had it, but have long 
since lost it.  I am in Japan and the American base vet cannot obtain the 
cancer medications.  My Japanese vet has been very attentive and so far 
everything he has done has been successful.  In the beginning he made me wait 
10-14 days between treatments in order to allow her body to recover from the 
"strong medicine."  He does seem surprised that she recovered so quickly the 
first time and I am sure will be amazed once again when he sees the results of 
his second round.  Unfortunately, I don't know what he used this last time.

She received the following five treatments.  All extremely strong drugs!

       Oncovin- 1st treatment
> > Cyclophosphamide- 2nd treatment
> > Doxorubicin- 3rd treatment
> > Oncovin- 4th treatment
       Doxorubicin- 5th treatment
> >
> > All of this with 10mg of Prednisone per day. (We have since cut the 
> > Prednisone down to 5mg per day. )

I envy your access to an oncologist.  Whatever is recommended, I'm sure will be 
your best bet!  

Thanks for the good wishes.  

Melinda, Fuji and VooDoo 

On Nov 28, 2010, at 9:23 AM, Stacy Zacher wrote:

> Hi Melinda:
> I am sorry about Fuji's mass but so happy she responded to chemo. What chemo 
> did you give her? I recently joined the lymphoma list and for Spanky's type 
> of mass (that has yet to be confirmed by biopsy) many have success with 
> prednisoline and leukeran and some are using ac-11 to boost the white blood 
> cells. I have a call into his oncologist/internal med specialist to see what 
> she thinks about putting him on the leukeran. He is doing well on the pred - 
> eating better and even ran up the stairs today which he hasn't done in many 
> weeks.  
> Purraying your Fuji continues to do well and thank you for sharing her story 
> and success. 
> Stacy and Spanky
> Message: 5
> Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 23:11:24 +0900
> From: Melinda Kerr <>
> To:
> Message-ID: <>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> Stacy,
> My
> kitty Fuji is almost 18 months old.  In July, she was diagnosed with
> FeLV and a mediastinal mass.  Very little effort was spent diagnosing
> her, but the final conclusion was lymphoma because of the presence of
> FeLV.  At that time, all I wanted was to make her more comfortable. 
> She responded immediately to the chemotherapy treatment that she
> received.  She continued to receive 4 more treatments at 10+ day
> intervals over the next couple of months.  During that time she showed
> absolutely no side affects. The treatments were discontinued because
> her WBC count was too low (because of the FeLV) for our Japanese vet to
> feel he could safely do them considering the mass was completely gone.
> Since
> her last treatment in September, she has had two rounds of antibiotics
> for minor infections (I took her in for sneezing the first time.)  Last
> week, I took her in with vomiting and discovered the mass had
> returned.  Second remissions are supposed to be extremely hard to
> obtain.  However, Fuji responded immediately once again to the
> treatment.   A week later, she eats, plays, purrs and does everything
> she did before.  She definitely acts like a more mature cat, but of
> course she is.  We will follow up next week with additional blood tests
> to see if she can get a second treatment.
> I know every cat is
> different, but I never expected to have 4+ more months with my baby. 
> She is still alive and doing pretty good for an FeLV cat with lymphoma!
> Best of luck to you and Spanky.
> Melinda, Fuji and VooDoo
> On Nov 27, 2010, at 11:35 AM, Stacy Zacher wrote:
>> Hi Sharyl:
>> Thanks to  you and everyone on this list for your replies and purrayers. . 
>> I'm so sorry about your sweet Albert but glad you had the 1.5 years with 
>> him.  
> It's been quite a week for us - Spanky went to his vet, then the
> internal med specialist/oncologist and was diagnosed with a mediastinal
> tumor in his chest, thus the fluids. My vets too said a few days only
> if I didn't do something. So I put him on prednisolone for now and may
> do a stronger round of something to try to kill the tumor. But I know
> it is dicey with his FELV + status/symptoms.   I can't even think
> straight.......but have to try to keep helping him.  He made it through
> Thanksgiving and we are taking it one day (one hour!) at a time.  
>> Purrs, 
>> Stacy and Spanky
>> Message: 8
>> Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 22:49:46 -0800 (PST)
>> From: Sharyl <>
>> To:
>> Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Spanky - fluid in chest
>> Message-ID: <>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
>> I'm so sorry to read Spanky now has this problem.  There is a Yahoo heart 
>> group that may help.
>> Did
>> your vet give Spanky any Lasix?  It does help reduce the fluid.  My
>> sweet Albert went into CHF and was dx with severe HCM. When he went
>> into CHF the vet gave him days/wks to live.   He was lasix for 1 1/2
>> yrs before his little heart gave out.  
>> It is something to try.
>> Sharyl
>> --- On Tue, 11/23/10, Stacy Zacher <> wrote:
>>> From: Stacy Zacher <>
>>> Subject: [Felvtalk] Spanky - fluid in chest
>>> To:
>>> Date: Tuesday, November 23, 2010, 8:58 PM
>>> Hi:
>>> I am crossposting this message also. 
>>> I urgently need advice on my kitty, Spanky (FELV+, early
>>> Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy).? 
>>> I noticed over the weekend and week he started feeling
>>> worse and that his respiration rate
>>> ?seemed to be higher than normal (he is usually about 18
> _______________________________________________
> Felvtalk mailing list

Felvtalk mailing list

Reply via email to