From: Alice Flowers <aliceflow...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: [Felvtalk]  Question About Inegrating Positive and Negative Cats
To: "felvtalk@felineleukemia.org" <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
Date: Tuesday, December 14, 2010, 8:55 PM

Well, here we go into the fray!! After losing 5 FeLV+ boys in the past 1 1/2
years and suffering the worst heartache and financial strain-we were down to
just Rosie-littermate to 4 of the boys who passed first, a month apart, all by
the time they were a year old. We just lost Murphy the end of October, he was 2
1/2, and our big, elderly Aussie on Nov 6. We went to Petsmart to get some dog
food and a local rescue had their adoptable kitties there. I had already asked
the SPCA, been honest with Rosie's FeLV+ status-they said no kitty for me. I
fell in love with 2 of the boys there and had picked one out-a semi long haired
lilac colored kitty. He was so cuddly and also played tough with the other
kittens-he was about 5 months old and fully vaccinated for the regular stuff
and
neutered. I asked them to consult their vet about letting me adopt-they did and
she said no problem!! They kept him an extra month and vaccinated him twice for
FeLV. He had already tested negative for it. So "Miso" has been home for a week
now and our home is active again-Rosie is playing-they chase each other all
over
the house! Oh-Miso had been a feral baby-and had a badly infected eye which had
to be removed-but he isn't hampered at all by it!! He is 100 mph all over the
place and up the cat trees! When we went to pick him up, I visited the first
kitty and he wants to live with us also-so we adopted him too-he's a solid
black, compact kitty-mellow purr machine, also about 6 months old-the rescue
people were so happy-he'd been with them for a long time-black kitty syndrome,
guess. But I had gravitated to him first because my lap kitty that passed 2nd
was Jack-a solid black boy who insisted on cuddling with me as soon as I got
home every day and I missed him so much. So in a month, he will be coming home
to our kitty disneyland-with a living room full of cat towers and pop tents,
ball toys in the tracks and tons of kitty toys! I can't wait. But I think it
helps to get older kittens who have already tested negative and then
vaccinate-it may not be foolproof, but we are trying. Alice