Just wanted to share something I have encountered - we are considering a pal
for Whimsy, and have been in touch with wonderful, amazing rescues, shelters,
and fosters.  I have encountered many times kitties who have never had an IFA
and sometimes only one ELISA.  Obviously, this doesn't sit quite right with me,
and I need an IFA.  Of course, it's an expensive test and totally
understandable why it's not done as much.  I have offered to pay for one (for a
kitty who has lived in a cage for a year) and wish I could get all of those in
question this luxury.  It's a dilema I didn't anticipate.  I have had to
explain on many occasions what it is as well.

I'm so touched by all the passion and committment out there for these special
kitties.  You wouldn't believe the long, stunned silence on the phone when I
ask "Do you have any Feline Leukemia kitties for adoption?"  I've had shelter
people shout for joy and almost cry at my inquiry.  It's also made me aware of
where I will be directing my donations to.  My favorite local shelter takes
care of these guys, but I am definitely going to redirect my other donations to
smaller groups that care for these sweethearts - that welcome them with open
arms.

I realize, too, that having Whismy come into my life, for however long it may
be, has made me an advocate for FeLV adoptions, and when you start see how many
people you can inform, you truly see how to effect change.  It may be one
person in one waiting room at your vet clinic, but if that gives one of these
cats the chance to live out their years, it is definitely powerful action.  The
horror of the inital diagnosis seems to disipate and you see...yes, we can
handle it; if not us, who?

Shannon and Whimsy