I will write more when I can get to a computer but my gut (from a distance knowing far less than you so perhaps not entitled to a 'gut' on this:) is that yes, this woman has issues (or sometimes 'normal' people the issue is that they are too preoccupied with their own lives) and the cat needs help which will likely require someone just taking the cat asap. I totally understand you may not be able to do that, sadly even many rescue people don't understand the importance of an IFA or what giving a home to and felv cat really entails. And 'normal' people seeking help for a cat often aren't willing to do much and will make every excuse in the world why they can't. Or perhaps she really is just kind of nuts, that is quite possible. Poor kitty:(

Thank you for caring enough to explore further. I've also seen rescue people say 'somethings not right--I'm out of this one", but those are likely often some of the situations where the animal really needs help. I may be way wrong though! It is so hard to guess what the heck is up with people much of the time but getting away from crazy people/ bad situations often seems to help the cats who the people claim are the ones with the problem (and they are, due to the people and all they've been through).

Scent from my wireless handheld litterbox =^..^=

On Jan 19, 2011, at 11:25 PM, Emeraldkittee <emeraldkit...@yahoo.com> wrote:

thanks, Laurie, I appreciate you chiming in.

yes, he is neutered, he wandered into her yard fixed, many years ago. She gave the cat to the relative, then a boyfriend, then the relative again. The kitty doesn't get daily attention, since she doesn't live there, which is why I really want to assess the situation. Now she isn't sure about the size of the space we can provide- one day we're great, the next day, she's got misgivings. As far as the masturbation thing, she said she asked the vet several years ago and was told the kitty is bored and lonely. I agree, the kitty needs a vet - 'very thin' makes me want to check his thyroid and blood sugar. It's hard to get her to stay focused, she rambles about other things; I know I'm dealing with more than a sad kitty here.
--- On Wed, 1/19/11, Laurieskatz <lauriesk...@mchsi.com> wrote:

From: Laurieskatz <lauriesk...@mchsi.com>
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] opinions on strange situation(kitty to adopt)
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Date: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 9:44 PM

Imo this kitty needs your help. I did rescue for 13 years and have never heard of a kitty masturbating...? is he neutered? She might be embarrassed
to have a cat in this condition belonging to a relative (this is my
suspicion). As a rescuer friend of mine says when she is trying to help someone who is not being reasonable, "it's not the cat's fault". I would go over there and assess things yourself. Take a carrier. If the carrier won't work, ask about trapping him. Does anyone interact with this poor cat? The "masturbation" might be another bodily fluid...dental issue or infection. It sounds like this kitty needs to see a vet. How would her vet even know if the cat saw someone else. She could say the potential adopter wanted to go to someone else. I sense fear of something behind this refusal to cooperate.
Please go get him and let us know what you find out.

"Love animals: God has given them the rudiments of thought and joy
untroubled. Do not trouble their joy, don't harass them, don't deprive them
of their happiness, don't work against God's intent. Man, do not pride
yourself on superiority to animals; they are without sin, and you, with your greatness, defile the earth by your appearance on it, and leave the traces
of your foulness after you - alas, it is true of almost every one of
us!"~Fyodor Dostoyevsky