In a similar case I got my hands on the cat and never returned the cat. The
guy was furious with me but the cat was much better off. She was starved and
not altered. She came with six kittens. He called me about the kittens. I
asked about the mom and said I would pay to have her spayed but when I saw
her condition I did not return her. Had he pushed it, I would have filed
neglect or cruelty charges.

Please get that kitty asap. I, frankly, don’t' see any need for gathering
more information. You know the woman has issues and it sounds like the cat
does. They often go together.

Even if he is a mess and has to be EU that is better than emotional
abandonment and living like he is. I hope you will get that kitty today,
even. If you  have to, take someone with you for support. I suspect that
kitty will bond to whomever takes him. All he wants is to be loved. I
believe he will be so grateful to just be loved. Kitties are so sensitive.
She probably emotionally terrorizes him.

You can't trust her assessment. She does sound like a hoarder. You can
assess him once you have him. If you don't have other cats, I wouldn't even
bother with the testing. I would get him out of her possession however you
can and never return him. you can promise to do what she wants but you don't
have to do it.
BEST INTERESTS OF THE CAT.

If you can't keep him, Contact Carmen at C&W shelter in Nashua, IA (she is
on this list). She requires sponsorship and has other FeLV/FIV kitties.

God bless this kitty. I know I won't sleep well until he is safe.

"Love animals: God has given them the rudiments of thought and joy
untroubled. Do not trouble their joy, don't harass them, don't deprive them
of their happiness, don't work against God's intent. Man, do not pride
yourself on superiority to animals; they are without sin, and you, with your
greatness, defile the earth by your appearance on it, and leave the traces
of your foulness after you - alas, it is true of almost every one of
us!"~Fyodor Dostoyevsky