The last time I posted, I was in the start up phase of my sanctuary, Helping
Paws Animal Sanctuary. We will be in business 1 year in July and we are already
working on our expansion. We currently have 1500SF indoor facility (soon to add
another 1500SF) and have limited to approx 100 cats. I don't believe in cages
and keep the cats in large rooms with perches, furniture even water fountains.
My inspiration was my FELV+ cat Tom. There weren't any places for positive
kitties. I do adopt out my kitties to make room for new ones, but keep it
home-like for the long term friends. My vet sees every cat before they enter
the facility and oversees their care. She's on my board of directors and is
only a call or text away if I need her. Many of my volunteers have vet tech
experience (including myself). Animal Services of Lee County has inspected us
and have asked us to be a model for the other shelters/sanctuaries in the area.
They also transfer their positive kitties to me when I have room for them. I
love each of these furry friends and know all their names. Their well being is
my life's mission and I wouldn't have it any other way. We are open to the
public every evening and the kitties look forward to entertaining their guests.
As for "outdoor kitty time" we have a screened enclosure they take turns using.
Our dream is to have acreage for them but all things in time. I can't speak for
other sanctuaries, but I welcome everyone to come see our facility. I like to
think I'm doing Tom proud.
Marnie Miszewski
Helping Paws Animal Sanctuary
www.helpingpawsanimalsanctuary.com