I agree with Diane, any vet who recommends euthanasia because a cat is FeLV,
and for that reason only is not only ignorant but very uneducated in the most
recent research out there. A lot of the younger vets tend to be a bit more up
to date and more sympathetic to FeLV cats.
When we found out that our Maggie was positive (we had her snap tested before
we got her but the clinic did a "batch test" where they took blood from all 4
kittens, mixed it together and then pulled the 3 drops needed from the
mixture). I was not aware of this or never would have allowed that to happen.
Maggie's FeLV was too diluted to show positive and her 3 siblings were neg. We
did not find out she was POS until a few months later when she became
symptomatic and we retested again and also did an IFA. We decided to keep her
which the vets there were very disapproving of. They believed that all FeLV
cats should be destroyed so that we could eradicate the disease. While I agree
with eradicating the disease, my little Maggie isn't spreading her disease
anywhere as my indoor kitty.
Our other kitty is vaccinated against FeLV and we do not keep them separated.
We count on the vaccine and the natural immunities cats develop as they age to
keep Sasha safe, and so far so good. We made the decision to mix after talking
to everyone on here and getting their advice first too.
Good luck with what ever you do.
Tanya