That's a good point about vets - some vets are not into cats so don't know much 
about them aNd dont keep up.


Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 16, 2011, at 9:05 AM, Jannes Taylor <> wrote:

> Actually it was a young (early twenties) vet who didn't even know what an IFA 
> test was. He had to go "read up" about FeLV when I was there. He did tell me 
> he 
> was not a "cat person." He was the new kid on the block with the four other 
> vets 
> who are in the same office. Unreal!!
> I took one of my other cats to the clinic last Saturday for her yearly 
> check-up/vaccines and thank God I saw the vet I like and have seen the most 
> of 
> during the last 8 years. He was sympathetic, but he was extremely concered 
> about 
> exposing my other cats. I do think he would put her down if it was up to him. 
> However, he did not come out and actually say that. It was just the 
> impression I 
> got.
> I do think I will take Amber to see another vet who is recommened to me when 
> I 
> take her back for retesting. He has his own cat just roaming around in his 
> office during the day. I bet he is a cat person! 
>  Jannes 
> ________________________________
> From: TANYA NOE <>
> To:
> Sent: Wed, March 16, 2011 8:24:56 AM
> Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Thank You for your Advice
> I agree with Diane, any vet who recommends euthanasia because a cat is FeLV, 
> and 
> for that reason only is not only ignorant but very uneducated in the most 
> recent 
> research out there. A lot of the younger vets tend to be a bit more up to 
> date 
> and more sympathetic to FeLV cats.
> When we found out that our Maggie was positive (we had her snap tested before 
> we 
> got her but the clinic did a "batch test" where they took blood from all 4 
> kittens, mixed it together and then pulled the 3 drops needed from the 
> mixture). 
> I was not aware of this or never would have allowed that to happen. Maggie's 
> FeLV was too diluted to show positive and her 3 siblings were neg. We did not 
> find out she was POS until a few months later when she became symptomatic and 
> we 
> retested again and also did an IFA. We decided to keep her which the vets 
> there 
> were very disapproving of. They believed that all FeLV cats should be 
> destroyed 
> so that we could eradicate the disease. While I agree with eradicating the 
> disease, my little Maggie isn't spreading her disease anywhere as my indoor 
> kitty. 
> Our other kitty is vaccinated against FeLV and we do not keep them separated. 
> We 
> count on the vaccine and the natural immunities cats develop as they age to 
> keep 
> Sasha safe, and so far so good. We made the decision to mix after talking to 
> everyone on here and getting their advice first too.
> Good luck with what ever you do.
> Tanya
> --- On Tue, 3/15/11, Diane Rosenfeldt <> wrote:
>> From: Diane Rosenfeldt <>
>> Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Thank You for your Advice
>> To:
>> Date: Tuesday, March 15, 2011, 7:31 PM
>> Wow, Jannes. The vet advocating
>> euthanization is a warning sign not to let
>> him/her treat this particular cat. She is obviously not up
>> to date on the
>> latest research and you need all the knowledge you can get
>> to maintain
>> Amber's good health. You might consider calling around to
>> different vets and
>> see what their feeling is about FeLV care. If you know of
>> some vets who
>> treat shelter cats, they may be a good place to start
>> because they will have
>> encountered it before. 
>> Best of luck with Amber. I personally hope you choose to
>> vaccinate the
>> others and let her commingle, but that's me and not you.
>> ;-)
>> Diane R.
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From:
>> []
>> On Behalf Of Jannes Taylor
>> Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:55 AM
>> To:
>> Subject: [Felvtalk] Thank You for your Advice
>> I want to thank everyone who responded about my post
>> regarding Amber, my
>> FeLV positive cat.
>> I have been feeling a little guilty about risking the
>> health of my other
>> cats from some chance encounter with Amber. I still plan
>> to be cautious but
>> do feel less stressed about it.
>> I have done a lot of research on the web, but there is
>> nothing like being
>> able to get advice from folks who have experienced this
>> situation.
>> The vet leaned toward euthanization after her after her
>> test came back
>> positive. 
>> I just could not euthanize a seemingly otherwise healthy
>> cat. I want to give
>> her a chance! I hope and pray that her next test will come
>> back negative.  
>> Whatever happens, I am glad I was there to save her
>> from starving to death.
>> She is getting high quality food now and lots of petting
>> every chance I get!
>> She has improved a lot in the last few weeks. It is sad how
>> she sits at the
>> top of the staircase and can't come upstairs. It is what it
>> is, I guess. At
>> least for now...
>> I would love to hear from more folks regarding this
>> subject.
>> Thanks you all and God Bless!!
>> Jannes 
>> _______________________________________________
>> Felvtalk mailing list
>> _______________________________________________
>> Felvtalk mailing list
> _______________________________________________
> Felvtalk mailing list
> _______________________________________________
> Felvtalk mailing list

Felvtalk mailing list

Reply via email to