Maureen, the kittens are probably already FeLV+.  I would separate them from 
the Momma cat.  They are old enough to eat canned kitten food mixed with a 
little warm water and KMR.  When I rescued a momma a litter of 4 all were 
positive.  The kittens lived 12-14 months.  Momma lived for 4 yrs.  But they 
had a good life for as long as they were with me.
I tried B12, folic acid, brewers yeast, L-lysine and Mega C.  Didn't help my 
kittens but yours could be different.
Thank you for taking this family in.  Be sure to spay the Momma immediately.

--- On Fri, 3/18/11, Maureen Olive <> wrote:

From: Maureen Olvey <>
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Any advice appreciated.
Date: Friday, March 18, 2011, 5:27 PM

Now I have a question and need advice.

My rescue just took in a mama cat and 4 young kittens that are still nursing.  
Just our luck the mama cat tested positive for FeLV.  My recommendation was not 
to put any of them down, but to wait a few months to see what happens.  Maybe 
the mama cat can kick the virus.  My question is about the kittens.  I know 
they have probably already gotten the virus from the mama cat, but is there any 
chance at all that they haven't gotten it?  One vet said maybe we should 
separate the kittens from the mama just in case they haven't picked the virus 
up yet.  What do you guys think?  Would that be possible - for them not to have 
it already, I mean?  I know since the kittens are only about 4 weeks old their 
chances aren't too good but we want to do the best we can for them and save 
them if possible.  We've got people that can bottle feed if they need to be 
taken from the mom.  But I don't want to separate them if there's no point to 

What do you guys think?

Also, seems like I've heard you guys mentioning vitamins.  Was it B vitamins?  
Would that be a good idea for the mama cat?

“I am not interested to know whether vivisection produces results that are 
profitable to the human race or doesn’t….the pain which it inflicts upon 
unconsenting animals is the basis of my enmity toward it, and it is to me 
sufficient justification of the enmity without looking further.” – Mark Twain

> From:
> To:
> Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 18:39:13 -0500
> Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Any advice appreciated.
> Generally spay/neuter is a good idea in most cases -- much less
> uncomfortable for the cat, since heat is usually excruciating for them. But
> this is a reason you should seek out a vet familiar with FeLV -- they should
> be able to judge whether Amber would be too stressed by the procedure, or
> figure out ways that she won't be (kitty Prozac?).
> Diane R. 
Felvtalk mailing list

Felvtalk mailing list

Reply via email to