I can't believe I forgot to mention that the HS kitty that recently died from FeLV was also diagnosed with the coronavirus (which is in relation to FIP). His immune system was compromised at a very early age. Having coccidia (as a newborn) and diagnosed wih the coronavirus (at 5 1/2 mos) contributed to his weakened immune system.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Maureen Olvey" <molvey...@hotmail.com>
To: <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2011 1:51 PM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] posting to thread on Felvtalk

About 3 weeks ago I lost a two year old to FeLV. She tested negative as a kitten but obviously the test was wrong or she had just gotten it when they did the test. I foster with a humane society so I have a house full of other cats. Some of those cats lived with the cat that died for a year and a half. So far I've tested four of them and all four have tested negative. I'm going through the process of having the rest of my cats tested but after living with a FeLV positive cat for a whole year and a half I expected at least one of those four to have contracted it. Especially since they too were kittens when they came to live here with her. They had all shared food and water bowls and litterboxes. Matter of fact, I have an FIV positive adult that lives here and has been here the last two years. He came here a few months before she did. He developed asthma last year and at that time I had bloodwork done on him. Even after living with her for a year he still hadn't gotten FeLV. I'm going to test him again because he's at a high risk already having immune system issues but I don't understand how he didn't have it last year after being with her for a year.

All of that to tell you not to freak out about your adult. You do need to have her re-tested and to keep an eye out for health issues because it is a serious disease, but many many adult cats exposed to FeLV are able to extinguish the virus. The last I read said as much as 50% of them could. Another 25-30% or so could put the virus into dormancy so that it is in their bone marrow but they never have problems from it and aren't able to pass it to another cat. Several websites say that only 30% of them at most contract it and die from it. There's so much reading on the web and I encourage you to research it.

Everyone in this group has lots of experience with it so you'll learn a lot from here too.

Keep in mind that if your adult does test positive on the ELISA test that is done at the vet's office you would need to have another test, the IFA, done to confirm it. The ELISA test easily produces false positives.

Good luck and I hope your adult is one of those in the higher percentage that will never have problems with FeLV.

“I am not interested to know whether vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn’t….the pain which it inflicts upon unconsenting animals is the basis of my enmity toward it, and it is to me sufficient justification of the enmity without looking further.” – Mark Twain