I believe I read about it that the cancer cases were still few and far apart.
That being said monitor your cat, espceially the area where the chip was
introduced.
I have one that can't climb my patio fence so she's inside only (goes outside
when I'm there, runs back in when I jiggle the doorhadle - smart little
critter)
so she's chipped but collarless.

The others are in and out and though chipped I don't want to go through the
time
when they're missing and then I have to look for them, so they have a collar
with no tag (the tags can get stuck, and if someone does pick them up they have
the chip) that tells the neighbours "I'm taken care of!!"
But one cat in particular, in the beginning I've come home to find that he
slipped his paw in the collar (and is now temporarily thre-legged) another time
he got it stuck in his mouth or just that he's managed to get himself rid of it.
But they learn, he hasn't gotten his paw stuck in it again. He gets rid of
them,
but not stuck anymore. This one cat's a pickle though, he's gotten himself stuf
on rneighbour's rooftops twice before (I had to get ladder and chase him
because
then he didn't want to be caught)

This was all the first couple of years I had him, he hasn't gotten himself
stuck
on a roof in the last 4 years, and he loses collars without getting stuck
anymore.

If they were indoor only I wouldn't worry with collars, but since they go out,
don't want them trapped/nabbed or harmed by evil people, so they know that
someone WILL be looking for them.

It's scary to see them in trouble that time that they got themselves stuck with
the collar, but in my experience they do learn pretty fast, and there are so
many strays/ferals around that I want people to know "this cat is looked
after!!"  (the ferals are too, but I can't touch those)