I absolutely agree with the screen/glass storm door!

-----Original Message-----
From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Georgetta Brickey
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 4:54 PM
To: FeLV List
Subject: [Felvtalk] Cats getting out the front door

Hi list,

I usually just lurk on this list, but I wanted to post regarding opening the
front door to talk to a visitor and having a cat dash out.

If you can add a screen or securty door outside your main door, that would
stop 90+ % of hasty exits.  Our house actually has a small alcove outside
the front door and my mom (who didn't have cats) had a carpenter close it in
and add a security door and vented side panel (basically 2 security doors
but only one with a door knob).  It is great when the doorbell rings.  I can
open the door, talk to the visitor and KNOW that no kitties will be exiting
into adventures.  It also gives me an extra measure of security when I don't
KNOW the party at the door - NICE!

Yes, it is a bit annoying to have to open 2 doors and 4 locks (each set has
a doorknob lock and a deadbolt  - all keyed alike) but when I bring home
groceries or packages, I can swing the outer door open and leave it with the
inner door closed... unload the car into the alcove, then close the outer
door and open the inner one to bring my stuff in.

I know this wouldn't work for some places - apartments, mobile homes,
rentals, etc... but even an inexpensive screen door would help a lot to keep
the cats indoors.

Georgetta in So. Calif. with 20 kitties to keep safe (16 foster kittens and
our gang of 4 felines)