You don't have to wait 3 weeks to do an IFA test. I believe you can do it now. Here is a link that you can have them read, it is helpful...

Since she is still a kitten her chances of clearing the virus is lower than if she was an adult. My kitten tested negative for it on the ELISA test when he was 5 mos, then at 9 mos tested a light positive, but was severely ill (anemic, heart murmur, very low oxygen level, and weakness) and we had to put him to sleep. He also had coccidia.

In my opinion, what you plan on telling her is correct. However, you may want to mention that it may effect them financially. Even though she appears healthy now, she could need expensive meds later. Remember that cats hide their symptoms really well, but she could be able to clear the virus. I hope this is exactly what happens, then no worries either way.

How old their kids are, in my opinion, would depend on how they would learn from this experience. You're heart is in the right place and she is very lucky to have you be so compassionate and eager to find her the home she deserves.

Good luck! Keep us posted. I hope this helped.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pam Norman" <>
To: <>
Sent: Saturday, June 04, 2011 11:35 PM
Subject: [Felvtalk] Questiions

Hi all,

We are trying to give little Sabriina a chance. She is an approximately 5 month old lynx Siamese. She was pulled from a dope house & was going to come to us as a foster until she was tested positive for FeLeuk. At the moment she is at a sanctuary about 75 miles from here. We are desperately trying to find someone who will take her for the approximately 6 months that I understand will give a good idea whether she can beat this virus or not. She is healthy & looks great. She has had so far only the snap test & as I understand it, the IFA test should follow in about 3 weeks. Is this correct?

We have a daughter of a friend who MAY take her. But she has two small children & the family had to put down their 2 Siamese about a year ago & they are not anxious to take in a kitty that they will have to euthanize soon. I have not spoken to her yet but will be tomorrow & I am planning on telling her pretty much the following:

There are no guarantees as to how long a kitty will live who has tested positive for FeLeuk. It depends on a lot of factors - her general health & how she is cared for - diet, freedom from stress, etc. Some kitties will not live long at all; others can live for years: & still others will fall somewhere in between. No guarantees. They have no other cats right now & I can tell them for sure that they will never have to euthanize her. If she continues to test positive, they have the option of having us take her to the sanctuary where she is not & she would join the other FeLeuk cats in that part of the sanctuary. Or they can keep her & give her good & loving care for as long as she has, knowing that they played a huge part in making her life one filled with love. It would be hard on the kids but it would teach them something about compassion, about caring for an animal that they may lose, that it will hurt them to lose her, but that they know they have done a good & beautiful thing.

Please tell me if there is more I can tell her. I have never had a FeLeuk kitty before & I am no expert on this. So I am very much in need to information I can provide that is fair & objective so that they can make an informed & compassionate decision. I very much want them to take her but I do not want to mislead them either.

Please help me.


Felvtalk mailing list

Felvtalk mailing list

Reply via email to