I know it can't be proven; but when they are born with it, they are usually
sickish and die soon - most don't make it past a few months (that I have know
of at my friend's rescue group).

-----Original Message-----
From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Lynda Wilson
Sent: Sunday, June 05, 2011 12:33 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Questiions

I disagree that "if she is 5 mos old and has been diagnosed withFeLV, she
must not have been born with it."  I don't see how that could ever be
proven. All kittens/cats have immune systems that can breakdown at different
times. Here is my experience:

My 3 mos old kitten that I fostered from the Humane Society, until it was 5
1/2 mos, tested negative after being neutered at 5 1/2 mos. It was then I
adopted it. Within 4 mos he was deathly ill with the virus. I was told he
was probably born with it and it did not show up yet, or the test was a
false negative.  He's always been in my house and never anywhere else except
for the vet that takes care of the HS kitties. He could have been born with
it because his immune systems was already weak because the entire litter had
coccidia. Otherwise, the only thing I can guess is that he contracted it at
the HS vet's office either when he got neutered or when he got his
vaccinations. My adult cat that is strictly an indoor cat, has had 3 ELISA
tests and has tested negative on all of them. But I am going to test him
again in 3 more months (that would make the 6 mos period) just to be
absolutely sure.