The Capstar <http://www.capstar.novartis.us/> pill is fabulous because it
bombs the fleas off in about 2 hours, then you can start using a monthly
flea treatment. I use Revolution and never had any problems with my FeLV+
cats using it.

As far as cleaning products go, I use Dawn on nearly everything - it's a
very effective anti-bacterial and it's comepletely safe for animals. When I
bring new kittens or puppies/dogs into the house, I give them a Dawn bath
because it kills germs and helps wash off fleas.

I have hardwood floors, so I'm limited to certain cleaning products. My
favorite is Pine Sol.