Ben, same thing happened to my kitty, Crash, that I had adopted from the local Humane Society. I thought the same. I stayed so long with him to say good-bye that I noticed the fluid coming out of his nose. I never asked about it. I think at the time, I did not want to know. He was having a hard time breathing as well.

Peace be with you!
Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ben Williams" <drsiebl...@gmail.com>
To: <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 4:25 PM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Dexter

Thanks so much, everyone.  It's been a really hard day for us and I'm
haunted by seeing Dexter this morning struggling so hard to live.  You've
all been so wonderful and your kind comments have really helped today - if
anything, we are realizing even more now just how much we love that little
boy.  He was so special to us.

If I may, I have a question regarding Euthanasia for those of you who have
been through this before - for those of you who are squeamish, please just
skip this one:

Dexter passed peacefully when Dr. Cantrell administered the euthanasia this morning. He let out a small sigh when the initial sedative was injected and
silently slipped away when the final injection was made.  A few minutes
later, as we were still petting him, a fair amount of yellow, clear liquid
came out of his mouth and nose. I assume this was fluid that had started to collect in his lungs, perhaps part of the jaundice from his liver? I don't
know - I just can't stand the idea that he was in severe pain for a while
there and that, perhaps, we put him through it.  He had a chest X-ray on
sunday night and no fluid was visible. Or, maybe it was missed. Sorry for
the awkward question.