Ben, same thing happened to my kitty, Crash, that I had adopted from the local Humane Society. I thought the same. I stayed so long with him to say good-bye that I noticed the fluid coming out of his nose. I never asked about it. I think at the time, I did not want to know. He was having a hard time breathing as well.

Peace be with you!
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ben Williams" <>
To: <>
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 4:25 PM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Dexter

Thanks so much, everyone.  It's been a really hard day for us and I'm
haunted by seeing Dexter this morning struggling so hard to live.  You've
all been so wonderful and your kind comments have really helped today - if
anything, we are realizing even more now just how much we love that little
boy.  He was so special to us.

If I may, I have a question regarding Euthanasia for those of you who have
been through this before - for those of you who are squeamish, please just
skip this one:

Dexter passed peacefully when Dr. Cantrell administered the euthanasia this morning. He let out a small sigh when the initial sedative was injected and
silently slipped away when the final injection was made.  A few minutes
later, as we were still petting him, a fair amount of yellow, clear liquid
came out of his mouth and nose. I assume this was fluid that had started to collect in his lungs, perhaps part of the jaundice from his liver? I don't
know - I just can't stand the idea that he was in severe pain for a while
there and that, perhaps, we put him through it.  He had a chest X-ray on
sunday night and no fluid was visible. Or, maybe it was missed. Sorry for
the awkward question.

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 12:46 PM, Lynda Wilson <>wrote:

My heart is breaking after reading your story!  I'm truly sorry Dexter is
gone, but he will live within your heart now.

You did so much for him and he fought the battle as much as he could.

My thoughts are with you at this difficult time.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ben Williams" <>
To: <>
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 9:46 AM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Dexter

 I'd like to start off this message by thanking all of you for your kind
words regarding Dexter over the past few days - - my wife and I have
and appreciated every one of the emails - it's meant a lot to us.
Unfortunately, this morning has proven to be heartbreaking to us both - we received a call first thing this morning from East Dallas Animal Clinic's
Dr. Ken Cantrell that Dexter's condition had worsened over the course of
night. After picking Dex up from the Emergency clinic yesterday morning,
immediately took him to Dr. Wright at Lakewood Vet Center. Dr. Wright has
been on vacation since last week and we were told that he would be back
yesterday morning - but he hadn't yet returned. I took Dexter to see him
three occasions last week for his lymphocyte T-Cell Immunomodulator
injections, but was only able to see him that Monday. When we took Dex in on Friday when the swelling of his feet and face had begun, we were given
advice by his staff who were unable to do anything other than give Dex his
shot and usher us out the door.  They are all very caring people and I
blame them for anything, but I feel that any vet who runs a practice where he is the only doctor on staff, should do a bit more to keep his patients
informed about his availability - that way precious minutes or hours or
aren't wasted waiting for him to return. Fortunately, several weeks ago, when trying to convince Dr. Wright to order the LTCI treatment (which took him over a week to do) I was referred to the East Dallas Animal Clinic by the LTCI folks - they had used the medication before. East Dallas Animal
Clinic is a wonderful place.  We've worked with Dr. Ellsworth and Dr.
Cantrell there - - they are both compassionate and make a point of taking
calls from concerned pet owners.  They have both been wonderful to work
and have been open to taking every conceivable avenue with Dex's
I only wish we had been seeing them from the start. We rushed Dex to them
yesterday morning as soon as it became clear that Dr. Wright wouldn't be
returning.  Again, I don't blame Dr. Wright, but when we took Dexter in
his checkup three weeks ago and Dr. Wright informed us that anemia had set
in, his advice was to "take him home and make him comfortable."  A week
passed as I researched and tried to communicate with him about alternate
treatments and off-label meds. When you factor in that week and the week
took to order the LTCI meds, that's two out of the last three weeks where
Dex had little treatment.  Again, why the difficulty in getting anything
done for Dex? East Dallas, however, fit Dex in on the first day we spoke with him and started him on Acemannan injections. They had two remaining doses remaining of that drug; a drug that was very beneficial to Dex last
year when he was first diagnosed.  they sacrificed those 2 doses for Dex
without question - had I gone to them earlier, perhaps it would have had
more effect on him. Regardless, Dex seemed to make improvements while on
Immunoregulin, LCTI and the acemannan.  FeLV and FIV are horrible
though, and I felt like there was something always sneaking up on Dex
we treated him. We seemed to reverse the anemia, but his Lymph nodes were
swelling.  Some days they would go down, other days, they would blow up.
When the mystery feet and face swelling started last week, he even
well with benadryl. That thing sneaking up on Dexter? Full blown cancer
it wasn't just in his lymph nodes, it was in his liver and spleen - it had
probably made his heart swell.  His breathing was becoming more and more
labored and we struggled with the decision of when Dexter was in too much pain to continue. Yesterday, Dr. Cantrell started chemotherapy on Dex, as
well as steroids.  He seemed to tolerate the meds well, but over the
of the night, he became more jaundiced and vomited, while his body
temperature dropped to 94 degrees. His little body had given out as this
terrible disease had taken almost everything from him.  I say almost
everything, because when we arrived at East Dallas Animal Clinic this
morning, even though he was being hand fed oxygen while under a warming
little Dexter still had a playful wag of the tail when we placed our hands on him and told him how much we love him. Dexter died at 8 this morning. We are heartbroken that our sweet boy is gone and that he was only with us for a year and a half. He was such a wonderful, sweet and special kitty -
we will miss him terribly.  He was a huge part of our family - not some
"pet" or animal. We have four other wonderful kitties at home who are not FelV or FIV positive. They have been wonderful as our attention has been
focused on Dex for the last month and we owe them some serious one on one time right now. While all of the kitties get along well, Dex was the one cat in the house that all the other cats adored. He was never involved in
spats with any of them and they all took turns cleaning him and looking
after him.  Dex was special to everyone.  In the end, I wish there was
I could have done for Dex - I look back at the timing of everything and
the last three weeks have gone for him.  Could the outcome have been
different?  I'll never know, of course, but I'm not done fighting this
with FeLV and FIV.  These diseases took our boy from us and I will not
until they are both a thing of the past.  Its the very least I can do in
honor of Dexter - a wonderful boy who fought with dignity and calm, and
above all else, the special brand of sweetness that only he had.

Thanks, everyone.

Felvtalk mailing list**mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_**<>

Felvtalk mailing list**mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_**<>

Felvtalk mailing list

Felvtalk mailing list

Reply via email to