That's what we're wondering - whether the virus is shed into their saliva while
their immune system is still fighting the virus.  If the ELISA is positive but
the IFA is still negative are the cats able to infect another cat.  My book
said that when the IFA is positive the cats are able to infect other cats.  It
didn't say that about when the ELISA is positive but the IFA is negative.  It
didn't say anything at all about that situation so we're wondering at what
point in the progression of the disease is the cat able to infect another cat.
Since the ELISA test can use saliva or blood to detect the virus then that
means the virus is in the saliva at that point right, and I would think it
would be able to infect another cat.  But that may not be correct.  Maybe the
virus can't be spread until it's progressed all the way through the body and
has gone into the white blood cells.  Maybe once the virus goes into the bone
marrow and white blood cells it changes or mutates into a way that makes it
contagious.  I don't know, it's weird.  I guess if the experts don't know then
I'll never figure it out either.