I guess we've all seen a little of everything.  The problem with us in rescue
is that by definition "rescue" means you are rescuing homeless or abused
animals.  So rescue people will always see the worst and it makes us hard and
cynical.   The pure selfishness of people probably gets to me worse than
anything else.  Although there are definitely some sick SOBs out there too.

Kelley, I would guess that the rescue you've worked with is an exception, not
the rule.  At least I hope so.  None of the rescues in my area seem that way.
Definitely not the rescue I work with.  Although we may not agree with the way
other rescues do some things we're not going to sabotage them because they're
helping animals that we can't help.  I'm in GA and there's a serious
overpopulation problem here.  Dang cats don't take a break in winter and
reproduce all year long.  Among my rescue group we may individually talk about
the way we don't like a rescue handling things (we can all be a little catty)
but we never tell other people outside our main core group that because it
makes us look bad to bad-mouth another group in public.  Within our group we'll
get pissed off at each other sometimes but that's a personality thing usually.
Guess I'm lucky to have a group like mine.  We've done some things with the
other groups too and I'll send people there if they want a particular kind of
animal that we don't have at the time - like if they want a declawed cat and we
don't have one I'll send them to another group.  Like I said, I'm lucky.  It
sounds like you've worked with some crazies though.

I guess as far as people go I've seen a lot of bad but I've also seen a lot of
good.  Sometimes I'm amazed the people that come by our adoptions to tell us
about their wonderful cat/dog and how they've spoiled them rotten and I've been
so fortunate to have found great homes for my animals.  It's amazing to me to
see so many animal lovers.  I thought I was the only sick one out there  :-)
My husband definitely thinks I'm the only one there is that loves animals the
way I do.

But, there's a lot of selfish people too and it's shocking to me the people
that see animals as an object.  It's like they don't realize that it's a living
being with feelings and needs.  It's like they don't even realize that by
"getting rid" of their animal they are ripping it from it's home and turning
their world upside down.  My co-worker said his mother needed to get rid of her
cats and his attitude was so casual like "oh we'll just send them on" I wanted
to slap him and say it's their home too.  I told him that if she was ready to
give them up so easily she's probably one of those people who didn't need
animals.  And it gets worse than that.  We've gotten animals that have been
thrown out the car window while it was still moving and all kinds of crazy
stuff.  Now that's just cruel.  Finding kittens & puppies in dumpsters in
common around here.  Those are the kinds of people that many of us hate, or at
least have no use for.   There are a lot of those sick people and there's no
denying it.  But I guess even the ones with the casual attitude that just get
tired of their pets are probably the worse because they're not sick in the
head, they're just plain selfish and heartless.  They know better and still
toss the animal out just cause they want to and what they want matters more to
them.  Like Natalie said, it's a throw away society.  And the reason is because
of plain selfishness and lack of empathy.

This economy has made things a lot worse in our area.  There are people with
legitimate reasons for needing to re-home their animals, like getting
foreclosed on.  I always say that if I lose my house I'd live in my car in the
woods with my animals before I'd turn them out, but if you've got kids you
can't do that and sometimes you have to choose.  And there are many other
legitimate reasons and people bring us their animals with tears.  But by and
large, it's some sorry ass excuse that we can see right through.

I think because a lot of us in rescue see more homeless animals than we can
possibly adopt out it's hard to remember all the good people we've met through
rescue.  It seems the negative outweighs the good just in sheer numbers so I
have to remind myself that although there really are some no good rotten people
there are some truly wonderful people too with good hearts.  Even so, I have to
admit that I say "I hate people" on a regular basis too.