Usually when a cat pees out of the box, their is a reason.  Sometimes it could
be emotional.  Did you move?  New member of the family, Even new furniture or a
new furniture arrangement can freak them out.  Nitnoy pees i unexpected places
because another cat rounds the corner when she does and it frigthens her.  She
was chased by a raccoon that bit her tail off, leaving a 4" stump.    She also
will wait under or behind something and pounce on them, hissing and screaming
like crazy.  Like she wants to get them before they get her.  She is getting
better, but it has only  been a year so I get Nature's Mircle in the economy
size and mop it up.  You don't throw a child away when they do something wrong
do you?