To chime in on this subject, my recently adopted FeLV+ kitten Macey (now 5
months) had a really bad URI that turned into pneumoniia ~ 3 months ago. She
was initially sent home with Clavamox and Metoclopramide (for vomitting), and
she got a Zofran injection at the vet in MA (where I adopted her) for the
vomitting. When I got back home to NC, she got worse with a 105 temp, so my
local vet gave her a banamine injection (reduces fever and lung inflammation)
and sent me home with Azithromycin (stonger antibiotic). She still was going
downhill, took her back in a week, her temp was 107, and as a last resort, vet
suggested giving her a Dexamethasone injection as an aggressive try at getting
her temp down.. I knew what the results might be, with an FeLV+ kitten and
steroids...But an outright miracle happened, cause the next day, her temp had
come down to 101, and with the Azithr. finally kicking in, she actually started
eating on her own (I'd been force feeding her for almost 3 weeks). I know each
kitty responds differently, and I was extremely lucky that Macey finally
responded positively.
Dana, I sure hope your guy starts feeling a whole lot better soon!

Cindy