From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Amanda Vollaro
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:05 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: [Felvtalk] FELV Community

Hi there all, just wanted to introduce myself and start some dialog
concerning my cat community. I live out East on Long Island and my town is
affected greatly by FIV and FELV cats.

I have been a rescuer for 20 years and never seen outbreaks so fearsome. For
over 15 years I never had FELV cats (a couple of FIV positives, but never
symptomatic).

Within the last year I've seen 6 of my cats come down with symptoms
resulting in their deaths. Two were middle aged and one was a breeding
female who lost the battle with FELV after being stressed by litters. Most
of her brood has passed away and I now have four left, 2 from 2 different
litters. It's heartbreaking to see them become symptomatic,and I recently
lost my favorite in very bad circumstances.

What I'm writing about is how to get a vet who knows that cat is FELV to
help follow through with antibiotics, steroids, and a triple coctail. No one
wants to try steroids as they fear the problems with the liver, but the cats
die without them. How can I convince my vet to offer the steroids that they
need to absorb the fluids once they start coughing? My last vet left me
alone and at my wits end with just antibiotics and an IV D5W. Poor kitty
died in the middle of the night due to fluid buildup.

It seems to me that the vets out here just don't want to treat FELV cats
because they consider it a poor outcome no matter what.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Manda