Yes, it all seems premature to me.  Just remember, once the cat is put to sleep 
there is no bringing it back but if you wait a few more days and do all the 
test then you can always put the cat down later.  Don't put a cat down because 
the vet says so.  Listen to the vets but don't make a decision until you are 
ready.  If the cat isn't suffering then there's no reason to rush putting it to 
death.

If fluids from the belly are sent to a lab they will look for certain proteins 
that indicate FIP.  Plus, like Beth said, they probably can tell by looking at 
the fluid.  That test doesn't absolutely positively mean she has FIP but it's 
likely.  The only real way to know is a biopsy, but most vets will assume a cat 
has FIP based on the symptoms and the confirmation from the lab of certain 
kinds of protein in the fluid.  A flabby abdomen does not mean FIP.  Usually a 
cat with the wet form of FIP will get so skinny and emaciated looking although 
it is being fed.  They just can't eat cause of the fluids.  That's down the 
line though.  If the cat has the wet form of FIP it will usually die in a month 
or two from my experience.  Yes having FeLV makes it easier for a cat to get 
FIP but just because she has FeLV it doesn't mean she has FIP for sure because 
something's not right.  If funds allow I'd get the fluid test.   If not I'd 
wait to see how she does.

As far as FeLV causing the eye problems, it's possible I guess.  Seems like I 
read something about it somewhere.  I know it can make one pupil larger than 
the other but I'm not sure what else.  I'd definitely see an eye specialist 
though.  You'd hate to put a cat down then find out later that it really wasn't 
the FeLV causing the problem.  Maybe after seeing an eye specialist you'll find 
out she's in pain and they can't fix her eye or something like that.  Then if 
you decide to put the cat down you will know you did all that you could.

Take your time to make the decision.  Even if a cat has a poor prognosis but 
she's not suffering now then I wouldn't put her down yet, but that's me.  



“I am not interested to know whether vivisection produces results that are 
profitable to the human race or doesn’t….the pain which it inflicts upon 
unconsenting animals is the basis of my enmity toward it, and it is to me 
sufficient justification of the enmity without looking further.” – Mark Twain

Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 07:04:22 -0800
From: create_me_...@yahoo.com
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] [FelineLeukemia] Fwd: Los Angeles,      CA -- UPDATE: 
Chipin! Possible Felv+ kitty with bad eye growing every day needs 
foster/adopter by January 4th [1 Attachment]

FIP can be diagnosed by sending the fluid from the abdomen to a lab. Usually a 
vet can look at the fluid & tell it is FIP. It is a stringy yellow fluid. FIP 
is often associated with FeLV.This cat is definitely NOT a candidate for a 
"sanctuary". She needs individualized care. 
I would never put down an asymptomatic cat FeLV positive or not & I would never 
let any animal die on it's own. That is just cruel.
Beth
 Don't Litter, Fix Your Critter! www.Furkids.org   
       From: Kathryn Hargreaves <khargrea...@gmail.com>
 To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org 
 Sent: Wednesday, January 4, 2012 7:12 AM
 Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] [FelineLeukemia] Fwd: Los Angeles, CA -- UPDATE: 
Chipin! Possible Felv+ kitty with bad eye growing every day needs 
foster/adopter by January 4th [1 Attachment]
  

I just got this message from Karineh, who took Dolly to yet another vet (two in 
one day) at the urging of a rescue group that was paying for it:



"the vet said your best bet is to put her to sleep. he feels there may be some 
signs of FIP as well due to a flabby belly did a test and saw just a bit of 
fluids, wasnt sure though.  he said the one eye looks to have just grown and 
grown no matter what you were to do
 since he feels its felv related and there wouldnt be any treatment 
other than removal. the other eye is not good either just not big. he 
said in the near future the other one may need to be removed as well and this 
doesnt get rid of her problems if she is FELV/FIP + it will go from one to 
another. he said if you want to wait till you conclude that the send out test 
was indeed felv then lets wait but without really say what I should do he said 
her prognosis is poor to bad."



This is before the results of retesting for Felv via a lab ELISA and an IFA.   
From what I understand FIP is almost impossible to diagnose.   Also, this vet 
is not an eye specialist, as far as I know.

Does this seem premature to you?   She plans to have her killed this 
(Wednesday, January 4) afternoon, but is soliciting suggestions for 
alternatives.   



Do you all kill upon diagnosis (and in this case, before diagnosis)?  

At what point do you euthanize and/or do you let them die on their own?   

Do sanctuaries take kitties this far along?



Are there hospice places for such kitties?   


The cat must not be in a lot of pain, as none of the vets so far (a total of 3) 
have given her pain meds.


Much thanks for your prompt input,


Kathy


                                                                                
  
_______________________________________________
Felvtalk mailing list
Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
http://fusion2.fusionhost.com/mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_felineleukemia.org

Reply via email to