What's funny is only a very very small population of the animals actually have
rabies.  The Bat Conservation website said that less than 1% of bats are
actually carrying the virus at any one time.  Course rabies is fatal and there
is no cure or treatment once the virus is past a certain point so it is
something that has to be taken seriously.  But still the lack of knowledge has
made people hate and fear some of the animals like raccoons and bats.  Here in
GA as soon as I mention the raccoons coming around and eating my feral cat's
food I hear "Oh raccoons carry rabies and you have to stay away from them."
It's crazy the number of people that have said that to me.    There's the
assumption that most raccoons carry rabies.  There was this guy that was
feeding one of my feral cats during the week because he worked at the business
where the cat was at.  He said one day a raccoon came up to their open
warehouse door and looked in and everyone just knew the raccoon had rabies.  I
explained that raccoons are curious and just because you saw one in the daytime
it didn't mean it had rabies.  But his boss wanted him to move the feeding
station so that the raccoons would not be coming near them.  Actually he told
the guy not to feed the cat anymore but we got around that.  Point being that
one glance at a raccoon in the daytime struck fear in those men.