There are cats who test positive who are not and cats who test negative who are
not.  The tests in general are not very reliable.  However, I have had quite a
lot of experience with cats who tested positive for FeLV.  Taco and Smooch were
two who tested positive for both FeLv and FIV.  They lived together in good
health for almost three years.  Taco developed lymphoma and passed away quickly
at home.  Smooch developed a non-specific illness, never really stopped eating
but suffered from non-absorption.  He passed away a couple of months after
his roommate.  I had kept them both isolated from the rest of my group.  I miss
them both terribly but I gave them the best chance they could get to live the
longest that they were meant to live.  I have one more who tested positive for
both.  I'm going to retest him this week, finally get him neutered now that he
is fat and healthy (street rescue). If he's still positive for FeLv I will try
to find him
 a roommate.  If he's negative for FeLv he will go with my FIV+ cats.  In the
past, I have had a group of cats living with one who tested false negative for
feline leukemia.  All lived together for about 7 years.  When Tiger became ill,
he was about 13, never having been outside or exposed to any cats not in his
family for all those years.  Aside from the fact that he developed renal
failure, he tested positive for feline leukemia.  His 8 housemates were tested
some time after he passed.  All were negative and remained negative for the
rest of their lives.  The last of his mates passed two years ago at the age of
16.  I don't recommend mixing FeLV+ cats with others but it's also not a death
sentence and not as contagious as the vets will make you think, unless the cat
is actually showing symptoms of the illness.  However, everyone needs to
use her/his own judgment.