One of the related, inner struggles I have with such cases are, the cruelty
charges made to those with "good intentions" (which I do believe existed
here) will likely stick, yet every day sick individuals who purposely
torture and maim cats and dogs get off very easily even with much
evidence.  I read one case recently of a man in California who was caught
torturing then consuming stray cats, supposedly he was even witnessed
skinning one alive (and other horrible acts), and he got a bit of community
service, probation and a fine under $500.  This happens all the time.
Perhaps the discrepancy is solely in evidence, witnesses and the legal
process, but it seems to me that hoarders are penalized more stringently
than flat out torturers who commit such acts willingly, not because they
got in over their heads.