My Shadow was not FELv, he had a blood clot on his spine.  I let him out one
morning and when i wnet to check on all of my cats, he could not get up.  He
had been on the deck and the sun got hot, so he had drug himself into the
shade.  When I tried to pick him up, he screamed.  We took him to Missouri
Universtiy Vet hosp about 3 hours away.  They did and MRI and all kinds of
tests.  We finally let him go because he was so old and would not have been
able to make it thru surgery.