It didn't go through, I am erasing bottom text, and resending - it was too
"big".

From: Natalie [mailto:at...@optonline.net]
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 5:14 PM
To: 'felvtalk@felineleukemia.org'
Subject: RE: [Felvtalk] Giving sub-q fluids

When a cat is so skinny, you have to really pick up the skin into a tent and
put the needle straight down, or else it can come out the other side - sure
happened to me often enough with a very old, very thin cat.  Yes, I would
try the smallest possible, if the cat is patient enough to sit there.  Maybe
you could divide up the dosage into two instead of one large one?

BTW, my vet told me to use the side just above the hip, where there's a lot
of skin and fewer nerves, less pain..lumps are less likely to form there
than on the top of the shoulder, or try down either side of the shoulder,
about an inch down.

I've been doing it so much, I can do it blindfolded by now, and have never
stabbed myself, either.

Hope kitty feels better - the fluids really make a big difference in the way
they feel.

BTW - some of the vets use not only the 18, but it's twice as long.horrible
just to look at, that's why it's important to make sure to get the 1"
needles.