Door on a timer?????  However, my bet is on the coons.
On Jun 1, 2012, at 7:37 PM, dot winkler wrote:

Hi - well, I don't think I can bring the dry food in at night. Because i would have to make two trips to the cat area, instead of one. One trip is to bring the meat to them. If I did that in the evening then I could bring in the dry food but then i would have to come the next morning to put the dry food back and then another time that day to bring it in again. I live the next town over and work schedule is rough so once a day is pushing it as it is! Thanks for all your suggestions. What did you mean about the RAMP? I was not sure I understood. Just thought of something - wouldn't it be cool if I could devise a door that would shut automatically each night so nothing could get in the dry food station and then open in the morning! L.O.L. dotty

From: "dlg...@windstream.net" <dlg...@windstream.net>
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Friday, June 1, 2012 12:01 AM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] FW: RACCOON GETTING INTO CAT STATION

I feed the birds, so I also feed raccoons since they clean up what the birds don't get or drop. I also get possums coming for the seed. They both come to the feeders especially during a dry spell because I also put out water for the birds. They come all during the day, especially the young ones who have just been weaned. When they find an easy source of food, they will keep coming back. Maybe try moving the food to a different location, confuse them? Coons are smart, scheming little kids. I had one that sekt stealing the bait out of a trap, so I watched all night and caught her. She entered the trap, sucked in her stomachso she would not trip the door and reached across the trip plate, took the food and backed out. Next night, I wired the bait to the floor of the trap and in the struggle to get it, she sprung the trap. Big Momma, another (35lbs) kept getting in my seed can. She would open it and let the babies in to eat. Tried using straps from pick up. She chewed thru them. Brought it inside and she tried to turn the door handle so she could get in to it. Maybe you cold make a ramp - no, coons would jucst use it too. I will ask Perk (an old timer round here who used to hunt them) maybe he can come up with something. Have you thought of bringing the dry food in at night and once the cats got used to the feeding schedule, they would not come for food at night.