From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Marta Gasper
Sent: Saturday, June 02, 2012 12:51 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] FW: RACCOON GETTING INTO CAT STATION/placing the
stray cats

<<They will just sit in a cage until they get adopted for god knows how
long. >>

I always pipe up when somebody says that cats sit in cages at shelter/in
jail, etc..well that is true of kill shelters and some no-kills. And BTW not
all open policy shelters put the cat in the cage and leave it there.

No-kills specially know very well that an animal can't live in a cage. I
don't work at a shelter but am close friends with a nk and several HS's.
Cats don't do well in cages for an extended period of time. While medicating
and being socialized, acclimated and other changes, yes, they have to be.

But it is dangerous actually to hold animals in cages b/c of stress which
leads to disease. They know that or should know it.

Depending on room cats are taken out of the cages and let roam in rooms,
ussualy are in for the night. At the no-kill the only cats in cages are sick
ones or baby kittens. Even fractious cats they separate in groups in small
rooms. For instance one year ago the nk shelter took one of my rescue cats,
she was tame but has a very short fuse. She was in a cage during
quarantine(10 days) and that was it. Afterwards shared a room with one cat
she could bear, doesn't like much other cats.

She'd swipe at people too so she needed an understanding owner, finally last
week that family showed up and she was adopted.

In your situation I'd ask a  no-kill shelter, true most are full but you
never know. Unless you wish to keep all the cats, which probably for them is
the best alternative. Where are you at?

Marta

 <http://homelessnomore.webs.com/> http://homelessnomore.webs.com/

I was going to suggest a ramp, but alas, the coons could also use it.

RE:  taking them to a no kill shelter, if it is like the ones around here,
they are not able to take on any more dogs or cats.  Everyone who has lost
ajob, home and has to move in with relatives, brings their animals to the
shelter.  You are right, they would have to spend some time there especially
if they are not socialized.  That takes time and that means time in cages.
I took 2 from P.A.L.S..  I had gone to see about 1 cat and ended up with
both Lil Bit and Casey.  They had been in an 8 x 10 cage with about 6 or 8
other cats for over a year.  Lil Bit is just now moving around the house
because she is so small (6lbs) and timid and Casey is getting used to NOT
being allowed to bully everyone.  I just wish people would bring a short
letter giving information about their pets so the adopter would understand
why they are the way they are.  Often they are misunderstood and end up back
at the shelter because people do not have the patience to try to understand
them

---- dot winkler <venus7ora...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Speaking of all this about the raccoon, anyways, wish I could find homes
for the 7 cats i feed every day.  They are all so beautiful and quite
healthy looking with all the meat i feed them and the dry food.  At least 3
of them are very friendly and the others are coming around, too.  Anyone
have any input about how to place these cats?  I hate to bring them to a
shelter even if it's no kill.  They will just sit in a cage until they get
adopted for god knows how long.  It's very hard feeding every day.  It's
just me and my husband.  We can never go away anywhere now because of it.
What are your experiences?  Dotty