I hope they don't use the heart stick method on cats.brutal!

From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Lee Evans
Sent: Sunday, June 03, 2012 2:55 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Cat shelters

Around 12 years ago, that was the method San Antonio's Animal Control
facility used to kill cats and dogs.  They hooked a pick-up truck to an
opening in the wall of a small room.  They filled the room with unwanted
cats and dogs - all together, not even separating them by species, and
turned on the truck's engine.  They then shoveled the animals out onto
another pick-up and off to the landfill they went.  Some were only half
dead.  When this horror was exposed to the public, 200 people showed up in a
protest rally and kept showing up until a regular gas chamber was installed.
Then we had to do it all over to get the death by lethal injection method
approved. San Antonio is finally realizing that death is not the answer at
all but they are still using the injection to kill.  More advanced thinking
people are now trying to get the pound to go no-kill.  Unfortunately, most
of the officers there are left over from the ugly past and catch and kill
still prevails. But at least the City has recognized TNR as a legitimate way
to deal with Community Cats (formerly known as ferals).  Maybe someday.....