Hi!  I am a foster mom for a high kill shelter in Philly.  I am fostering
my 3rd litter which was my first litter of bottle feeders.  I've spent the
past 24 hours researching like crazy online and trying to talk to others
with experience but really getting a lot of contradicting information.

The background:
I pulled this litter from the shelter about 5 weeks ago as borderline
bottle feeders.  They were dumped on a doorstep in a box and brought to the
shelter.  Apparently there were 2 additional dropped off a day later that
they assume was from the same litter but they were euthanized due to
space/kitten season.  When I brought them home they were all around
.65lbs.  Two of them were eating wet food and 1 refused it.  I ended up
having to bottle feed the 1 for 3 weeks before being able to wean him
completely.  All 3 have been active, healthy and playful.  No signs of
illness.  Gaining weight steadily..actually faster than any of my previous
Today I dropped them off to be spayed and neutered.  My biggest boy weighed
2.6lbs, girl 2.2lbs and than my smallest boy who was the bottle feeder the
longest came in at just about 2lbs.  I got a call this afternoon that the
Feline Leukemia test came back positive.  They only tested 1 at the time so
I brought them right to the clinic when I picked them up and they tested a
2nd one who also tested positive.
At this point they have been completely unhelpful in giving me any info or
reassurance.  The only good thing I got out of them was that they did tell
me that they have a rescue that specifically pulls FIV/FELV+ cats and if my
cats didnt "flip" they would be able to place them in the rescue.  That
rescue claims they have a 90-95% flip rate of FELV/FIV+ kittens they pull
under the age of 12 weeks...but they are grouping FELV and FIV together and
I honestly have no idea how many kittens they have pulled to create this
statistic for themselves (it could be 2 litters or hundreds)...they claim I
have a high chance of my kittens still flipping negative.

I have/had adopters lined up for all 3 kittens.  I have contacted them
all.  One is going to look for another kitten.  Two have actually requested
to wait..one is willing to wait "as long as it takes" to see if he will
flip...even if it takes 6 months.

For the past week I had given the kittens much more freedom in my house.  I
know for a fact they drank from my 2 resident cats water dishes.  I also
caught my 1 resident cat sneak into the kitten room and eating from their
dish.  So they have been exposed.

My main questions really are about the possibility of them flipping.  I
cant seem to get any kind of consistent answer on this.  I have tons of
other foster parents that keep reassuring me that the chances of them
flipping to negative and just that they tested positive bc they are too
young to have an accurate test and than looking online or talking with some
others make it sound like the chance is higher of a flip if it was FIV not
FELV. So what are the chances of them flipping?  Am I setting myself (and
the potential adopters) up with false hope thinkng there could be a
reasonable chance of them flipping to negative?  Do I just keep testing
every month for 6 months?

They did the quick snap test.  Should I continue to do that test or at what
point should I request or bring to my own vet to have another type of test

If they flip to negative- does that really mean they are in the clear and
its safe for them to be adopted into a home with other cats?

Someone is suggesting that I take my resident cats in and have them FELV
vaccinated immediately even though they were already exposed...should I do
this?  I had called my vet and they told me to bring my cats in 2 months to
be tested for FELV.

So much mixed information has been given to me Im just so emotionally
drained and confused on my next steps.  I've grown to love these kittens
very much but Im in no position to make them permanent resident cats here
for long term. At the most I think I could consider hanging onto the boy
Henry who has the adopter willing to wait for him for the 6 months to see
if he flips negative if its worth waiting that long.  I just dont know at
what point to turn them over to the FELV rescue.  I hate to "dump" them but
I feel like if they truly are positive I cant provide them with what they
need so the rescue specific for FELV is the best for them..but I dont want
to put them there and have them placed in foster care with other FELV cats
to have them just flip to negative but now be infected bc of exposure to
other positive cats.  I want to know they are truly positive before making
that choice.

Thanks again.  I really appreciate any information or suggestions.  Sadly
the shelter is not offering me a lot of support or advice and at the clinic
I felt the vet tech had no idea what she was talking about.

Jamielynn  Storch
Felvtalk mailing list

Reply via email to