 From: Forgotten Felines <toledoc...@gmail.com>
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 12:47 PM
Subject: [Felvtalk] Sick FeLV+ Kitten

One of the 3 kittens I recently rescued tested positive for FeLV on the snap
test. Although we're going to run the advanced test in about a month, Kaya gets
sick very easily and loses several ounces when she does. Kaya is almost 5
months old now, 3 lbs 2 oz, and we've had her for nearly 2 months. At the time,
we were told the kittens were related and tested a different one. They all have
herpesvirus, which after being passed around we chose to isolate them
separately. When Kaya became deathly sick the second time, our vet wanted to
test her. Realizing none were related, we also retested the other two who came
back negative. This is my first experience with FeLV and I have so many
questions that seem to get conflicting answers.

First, how do I care for a FeLV+ kitten/cat? She's recovering quickly with a
mix of Natural Balance kibble and high cal/high stink (A/D prescription) wet
food, with added cat-appropriate vitamin C and Viralys (lysine) and Nutri-Cal,
but is there anything else I should be giving her while she's sick? Or when
she's healthy again?

Will she need to be on steroids or other medications for the rest of her life,
or can this be managed holistically?

Once the other kittens are healthy enough for vaccines, could I start them on
the FeLV vac and let them have supervised visits? They were together for 2-3
months pre-testing and never got it, and are therefore missing each other quite
a bit! And if all the cats and kittens in the house are UTD, does Kaya really
need to be quarantined until she finds her forever home? (3 adults and 4
kittens, including her.)

Thanks,
Jill