From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Forgotten Felines
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 1:48 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: [Felvtalk] Sick FeLV+ Kitten

One of the 3 kittens I recently rescued tested positive for FeLV on the snap
test. Although we're going to run the advanced test in about a month, Kaya
gets sick very easily and loses several ounces when she does. Kaya is almost
5 months old now, 3 lbs 2 oz, and we've had her for nearly 2 months. At the
time, we were told the kittens were related and tested a different one. They
all have herpesvirus, which after being passed around we chose to isolate
them separately. When Kaya became deathly sick the second time, our vet
wanted to test her. Realizing none were related, we also retested the other
two who came back negative. This is my first experience with FeLV and I have
so many questions that seem to get conflicting answers.

First, how do I care for a FeLV+ kitten/cat? She's recovering quickly with a
mix of Natural Balance kibble and high cal/high stink (A/D prescription) wet
food, with added cat-appropriate vitamin C and Viralys (lysine) and
Nutri-Cal, but is there anything else I should be giving her while she's
sick? Or when she's healthy again?

Will she need to be on steroids or other medications for the rest of her
life, or can this be managed holistically?

Once the other kittens are healthy enough for vaccines, could I start them
on the FeLV vac and let them have supervised visits? They were together for
2-3 months pre-testing and never got it, and are therefore missing each
other quite a bit! And if all the cats and kittens in the house are UTD,
does Kaya really need to be quarantined until she finds her forever home? (3
adults and 4 kittens, including her.)

Thanks,
Jill