From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Lee Evans
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 3:05 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Sick FeLV+ Kitten

A false negative is possible but not probable since they were living
together before you took them in or at least had contact with each other.
FeLv is NOT as contagious as vets would have you think but I do isolate the
positives from the negatives anyway.  Steroids are only to be used in
extreme emergency. They should not be given as a continuous medication.  I
do give my cat with stomatitis a steroid shot every two to three months if
needed, maybe less if the stomatitis looks like it is interfering with his
ability to eat.  Other than that, I stay away from continuous medications in
general.  The liver and kidneys can be severely stressed and compromised by
having to deal with continuous doses of medications (poisons is what they
are even if they are supposed to only poison viruses and bacterium).
Controlling disorders by a good natural diet is a terrific way to control or
eliminate most problems.  The occasional antibiotic shot or steroid should
be given when needed of course, but always question the vet as to why it
would be needed and would there be an alternative to giving the med.

Spay and Neuter your cats and dogs and your weird relatives and nasty
neighbors too!

  _____