Hello.
Our boy Oliver, has been doing well since his brothers passing due to CRF
last Feb but in the past year or so we have seen some signs that we had
been reading as old age (less grooming, weight loss...he just turned 15
this August). Thursday night he was acting lethargic and seemed to be warm
to the touch. I dropped him off at our vet who suggest it might just be a
virus (most of this blood panel was good, except a low white blood cell
count, now 2% below normal HCT values since July, and a 105 F temperature).
He suggested we might test him for leukemia and FIV as he wanted to rule it
out even though Oliver has always been an indoor cat (he used a ELISA snap
test...as far as we know he has never been tested for feLV or FIV). The bad
news came later when he called to say he was positive for both. He said the
FIV could be false if Oliver was every given an FIV vaccination (he has),
but the other was likely true (and also explained the low white count and
the fever, and now in retrospect some of the other issues). The vet thinks
he may have had this all his life and is just now experiencing the
symptoms. So now he is home and although I have read up some and don't see
much hope, I wondered if anyone can offer any advice. We have sent the
blood off to get the more sophisticated test but won't hear back until next
week.
Our vet, who is the best I have had, suggested perhaps he will last a few
weeks or months, given that he is showing signs that his body might be
losing the battle (low white cells, anemia). I'm trying to be optimistic,
but with no treatments I know this is probably a battle we cannot win.

Here are my questions:
1. We have 2 other cats who we think have had the feLV booster recently
(they are 14 and 16 years old and got the immunization as kittens).  Are
they in danger? If they got shots as kittens would they be still safe?  We
have Oliver with his own litter box and am making sure they use separate
water and food bowls.  There is not grooming among them.
2.  Is there anyway to know if Oliver can still fight off the virus and
become free of it?  If he did have it for 14-15 years, then why does he
have symptoms now?  If it was a recent exposure (we cannot think of any way
he would have gotten it) then could he still be fine?
3.  He seems fine now (no fever, eating, drinking, using the litter box,
etc.) so is this a good sign that perhaps he is able to fight it off or is
this just a false hope.
4.  If the other test is positive, would anyone suggest using the LTCI
treatment?  I have not found good scientific info on it's effectiveness
although there appear to be no major side effects.

Thanks.
Don and Oliver