I've never been a list moderator or been a position to direct anything except
to try to direct a bunch of cats to use the litter boxes.  However, let me just
add a bit of wisdom or non-wisdom, however you want to view it.  Discussing
politics and religion usually causes minor skirmishes and major wars on any
list or even in a group around the dinner table.  We all have opinions.  If the
opinions are about food, clothing, the color of the freshly painted house down
the street, why the neighbor would ever buy a Chihuahua/Great Dane mix dog or
anything but religion and politics, we state our opinion, have a chuckle
sometimes, compliment each other for being able to put a few words together in
a sentence and go on with the day.  But just start a thread in a group about
politics in an election year and all h*** breaks loose.  Even if half the list
is in agreement that one or another candidate is a total screw-up, the other
half of the list goes bananas
 and defends their total screw-up to the last flaming word.  Unfortunately this
is because most people don't use logic and research to pick a candidate.  So
what you get is pure emotion. Other people know deep inside that they are
supporting someone who isn't exactly wonderful but they are not going to vote
for that OTHER PARTY because mom, dad, grandma, granddad never voted for that
PARTY. It is my opinion that most elections are based on who can sell the
product better and the prejudice of the voters for or against the actual
person.  I don't mean color or ethnic group although that also comes into the
mix.  What I mean is that no one even goes to check out the facts.  Like we are
now having a problem with whether Romney strapped his dog carrier to the top of
his car.  Or in the past, whether Mr. Obama was a citizen of the United States,
or whether he was a secret Muslim. These are all smoke screens to keep people
from thinking about real issues,
 like the price of food constantly going up, how much money  the oil companies
are actually making when they raise the price of gas every time someone
mentions Iran or Iraq or any other issue  important to our daily lives.  If I
spend an hour doing a search on how many bills were passed by the candidates
that benefited me or took away something for me, I would do much better as an
informed voter than if I spent my time reading about Romney's dog or Obama's
birth certificate.  This, I think, is why we get angry with someone who has an
opinion that does not match ours.  We are not really solidly informed before we
take the opinion in the first place.  Like standing on the edge of a cliff,
afraid that someone will push us off and lying to ourselves that if we scream
loud and long enough, we won't lose our balance.  Maybe we should just stick to
cats and trade information on how to make their lives better and longer.

too!