 From: Don <mosquito.d...@gmail.com>
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Tuesday, October 9, 2012 8:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Need advice for our cat Oliver

Just an update. I took Oliver in today as he has some pretty bad acne on his
chin and while we were there I had them do a retest (snap)
FIV/leukemia test.  He was negative for both, so it appears as the first
positive test we got about a month ago was a false positive and the
infection he had was likely just another virus.  We pretty much expected this
once the IFC tests were both negative but it was nice to have
confirmation.
Thanks for the all the replies with advice.
Don and Oliver

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 8:51 PM, Don <mosquito.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello.
>Our boy Oliver, has been doing well since his brothers passing due to
CRF last Feb but in the past year or so we have seen some signs that we
had been reading as old age (less grooming, weight loss...he just turned
 15 this August). Thursday night he was acting lethargic and seemed to be warm
the touch. I dropped him off at our vet who suggest it might
just be a virus (most of this blood panel was good, except a low white
blood cell count, now 2% below normal HCT values since July, and a 105 F
temperature). He suggested we might test
him for leukemia and FIV as he wanted to rule it out even though Oliver
has always been an indoor cat (he used a ELISA snap test...as far as we know he
has never been tested for feLV or FIV). The bad news came
later when he called to say he was positive for both. He said the FIV
could be false if Oliver was every given an FIV vaccination (he has), but the
other was likely true (and also explained the low white count and the
fever, and now in retrospect some of the other issues). The vet thinks
he may have had this all his life and is just now experiencing the
symptoms. So now he is home and although I have read up some and don't
see much hope, I wondered if anyone can offer any advice. We have sent
the blood off to get the more sophisticated test but won't hear back
until next week.
>Our vet, who is the best I have had, suggested perhaps he will last a few
>weeks or
months, given that he is showing signs that his body might be losing the
 battle (low white cells, anemia). I'm trying to be optimistic, but with no
treatments I know this
 is probably a battle we cannot win.