Lisa,

You were lucky because 9 1/2 years is a long time for a FeLV cat, especially if
he had it as a kitten.  Most cats that had FeLV as a kitten don't live past 3
years.  Many live less than a year.  If you were giving him interferon then
maybe that was it.  I have heard of some that lived about that long but not too
often if they got it as a kitten from their mom.  One vet told me about one
that lived until it was 18.  I kind of wonder if the vet was smoking dope cause
that's really odd.

I had one that died at 2 years old that had a mediastinal tumor.  Like Prancer
she was fine then one day her breathing became labored.  Before the vet and I
could even discuss what to do she died.  At the time I did not know she had
FeLV because she tested negative as a kitten.  They didn't see the tumor on
X-ray because of all the fluid so we did a necropsy to see where the fluid was
coming from.  Sure enough the vet found this large tumor and it had actually
punctured her heart and the fluid in her chest was all blood.  Then the vet got
curious and did a combo test and found the FeLV.  My guess is that most likely
the tumor would have eventually ruptured Prancer's heart too so you probably
did the best thing for Prancer.

I didn't know they could treat those kinds of tumors.  In my cat's case it was
too late when we found it but I'm glad to know that in case something comes up
in the future.

Maureen

Sent from my HTC Inspire™ 4G on AT&T