 From: Kathryn Hargreaves <khargrea...@gmail.com>
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2012 4:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] The Price of Cat Food

They do eat by-products when they eat the whole prey, but they are getting all
the rest, too, which they don't get with just by-products (where the good stuff
has been taken out for human consumption).   By-products contain much less
nutrition and are often indigestible.  Note that cats also get some minerals by
eating the dirt that's on the animals.   Guess that's why some feral feeders
just put the food on the ground.  :-)
That has always surprised me when people report that their cat doesn't eat the
organs, as those (exept for feces-filled intestines) are the most nutritious
things in the prey's body, and also (I've read that) the big cats eat the
organs first and bury the rest of the body for the next day.