From: Felvtalk [mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Lee
Evans
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2012 2:58 AM
To: felvtalk
Subject: [Felvtalk] The Price of Cat Food

Costco's Kirkland is excellent.  Unfortunately, it just went up in price a
dollar and fifty cents more to $18.99.  It was about $17.59 a couple of
weeks ago but it's still the best deal around for 25 pounds of good quality
cat food.  I began feeding it again to my inside rescues because they were
losing weight after we moved out of San Antonio to Comal County to get away
from the ACO's who were constantly giving me citations for too many cats.
Anyway, cats are not good with moving from a known to an unknown place.
Lots of stress, fur loss, weight loss, behavior problems.  I finally have it
under control thanks to a friend who has her own 501 c 3 and is quite well
known in the rescue community. I got several adoptions through her
organization which culled the herd nicely. A couple of my older cats passed
on from kidney failure, one from cancer (my oldest FIV+ cat who was about
13) and one from heart disease and a tumor.  I think it was all due to the
stress of moving and being in a much smaller place. Anyway,  to straighten
out the fur and weight problem, I bought Kirkland because it has the highest
fat content of any of the dry foods.  Several months and several bags of
Kirkland later, one of my cats who was almost bald now has a really nice
coat (long fur girl, house feral) and the scabs on her skin are gone.  She
has put on at least a pound, if not two.  The other cats are gaining weight,
all except one.  He needs a thyroid profile when I get some money.  But he's
holding his own also.  Of course, my fat cats are getting fatter by the
minute.  But on the whole, I'm very happy with Kirkland.  I also use Paws
and Claws, which is the brand Tractor Supply feed store puts out. It's quite
a bargain although not as fatty as Kirkland but costs $20 for 36 pounds.  I
only use canned for the cat who has stomatitis.  Since Kirkland is smaller
pellets than other cat food, he is able to eat it without trouble.  I have a
membership at Costco through my animal rights organization.  There are three
of us who do cat rescue and we share the membership fee each year.  We are
tax exempt,  which helps also with the price.

Spay and Neuter your cats and dogs and your weird relatives and nasty
neighbors too!