From: Maureen Olvey <molvey...@hotmail.com>
To: dlg...@windstream.net; felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2012 8:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Interferon

Yeah, I wondered if there had been any signs earlier but I just didn't notice
them.  It was like one night she started breathing a little funny and the next
day it became worse so I took her to the vet and of course the stress of the
trip made things a lot worse so as soon as we got there the vets rushed her to
the back to see what was going on.  By the time they did the x-ray and got back
to me she was getting weak.  I went to the back where she was at to see her and
talk with the vet and she died while we were talking.  I had no prep time at
all and it was awful.  Here one day and gone the next.  Her name was Two Face.
She was a torti with some white on her and half her face was orange and the
other half black.  What a sweetheart.  Wish I could have had her for a lot
longer.

> Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 19:06:48 -0500
> From: dlg...@windstream.net
> To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
> Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Interferon
> CC: molvey...@hotmail.com
>
> That is the way it was with Nitnoy. We never really had the time to decide on
> treatment before she was gone. I keep thinking there is something I missed
> and should have seen.
>

> ---- "molvey...@hotmail.com" > wrote: > Lisa, You were lucky because 9 1/2
> years is a long time for a FeLV cat, especially if he had it as a kitten.
> Most cats that had FeLV as a kitten don't live past 3 years. Many live less
> than a year. If you were giving him interferon then maybe that was it. I have
> heard of some that lived about that long but not too often if they got it as
> a kitten from their mom. One vet told me about one that lived until it was
> 18. I kind of wonder if the vet was smoking dope cause that's really odd. I
> had one that died at 2 years old that had a mediastinal tumor. Like Prancer
> she was fine then one day her breathing became labored. Before the vet and I
> could even discuss what to do she died. At the time I did not know she had
> FeLV because she tested negative as a kitten. They didn't see the tumor on
> X-ray because of all the fluid so we did a necropsy to see where the fluid
> was coming from. Sure enough the vet found this large
 tumor and it had actually punctured her heart and the fluid in her chest was
all blood. Then the vet got curious and did a combo test and found the FeLV. My
guess is that most likely the tumor would have eventually ruptured Prancer's
heart too so you probably did the best thing for Prancer. I didn't know they
could treat those kinds of tumors. In my cat's case it was too late when we
found it but I'm glad to know that in case something comes up in the future.
Maureen Sent from my HTC Inspire™ 4G on AT&T ----- Reply message ----- From:
"Terri Brown" > To: > Subject: [Felvtalk] Interferon Date: Fri, Oct 12, 2012
3:23 pm I used interferon with Salome'. I started her on it when she was about
3 years old, and I gave it to her as often as I could get a hold of it. Salome'
lived to be 9 1/2 years old, and she died from liver failure. Hope that helps!
T =^..^= Terri, Guinevere, Travis, Dori, Kimiko and 8 furangels: Ruthie,
Samantha, Arielle, Gareth, Alec,
 Salome, Sammi and Siggie the Tomato Vampire =^..^= ----- Original Message
----- From: Lisa Conner To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org Sent: Friday, October
12, 2012 1:48 PM Subject: [Felvtalk] Interferon Hi All, I think everyone was so
hung up with this politcal debate, no one saw my 2 questions on Interferon and
the length of years a Felv + cat has lived. Ok- so, I joined when my 9 + year
old boy, Prancer became very sick..literally overnight. He breathing was
extremely labored and I rushed him to the Emergency Vet. They said he was
critical , and didn’t think he was going to make it. May be best to put him to
sleep since he was Felv+ and needed oxygen and and his gums were pale. That
night they extracted 3 ½ cups of fluid from his lungs. Thank goodness, because
that saved his life. In the morning we transferred him to our regular vet and
our vet thought it was his heart. He was right. The ultrasound showed a huge
mass tumor at the base of his heart.
 The vet wasn’t sure how much time Prancer had, however, he said it might be a
day or week, depending on how much fluid built up in his lung area. Within 4
days, the fluid was back and I could not have him suffer as I lost my Dad to
the the suffering of congestive heart failure (with build up of fluid in the
lungs). So, my vet believes that Interferon might have helped Prancer over the
years, since in all his years in practice, they have not seen a cat like
Prancer, great health for 9 ½ years, but be Felv +. Has anyone in this group
used Interferon with their cats and what is the typical avg span life for Felv+