-Nitnoy was tortoise too.  She was like a brindle all over with 4 cream socks
and a cream streak to one side of her nose which gave her a clownish look.  Add
to that that a raccoon bit off all but 3 -4" of her tail and she was real
short.  She was like a cute litle stuffed toy.  She was always in my face when
I was eating and always first in line at feeding time  so I gave her a 2nd name
"garbage can".  Going to miss her a lot.

--- Christiane Biagi > wrote: > Well my Tucson turned 14 this year. I lost my
Romeo at age 9+ to lymphoma—it was also very fast…he was sick for a couple of
weeks. I know I sound like a broken record but FELV virus has been around long
before anybody even knew about it. Most cats don’t get tested—they certainly
didn’t years ago. If it were that lethal, there wouldn’t be any cats left. I
think there are probably a lot more cats out there not diagnosed living the
good life. > > > > From: Felvtalk [mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org]
On Behalf Of CATHERINE DIDONNA > Sent: Monday, October 15, 2012 9:21 PM > To:
felvtalk@felineleukemia.org > Subject: [Felvtalk] No signs and then they are
gone. > > > > That is one reason the ASPCA does not adopt out cats with
FELV,because it hits all at once. FIV cats they adopt out,because they can live
a long time.The lady that had the cat for 91/2 yrs ,good for you. Some cats
without FELV don't live that long.Oh, It happened to me too,one day fine ,next
day not feeling well,next day or two gone. But, they died home when they were
ready.Cathy Fron the BRonx N Y > > > > > > From: Maureen Olvey > > To:
dlg...@windstream.net; felvtalk@felineleukemia.org > Sent: Monday, October 15,
2012 8:33 PM > Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Interferon > > > > Yeah, I wondered if
there had been any signs earlier but I just didn't notice them. It was like one
night she started breathing a little funny and the next day it became worse so
I took her to the vet and of course the stress of the trip made things a lot
worse so as soon as we got there the vets rushed her to the back to see what
was going on. By the time they did the x-ray and got back to me she was getting
weak. I went to the back where she was at to see her and talk with the vet and
she died while we were talking. I had no prep time at all and it was awful.
Here one day and gone the next. Her name was Two Face. She was a torti with
some white on her and half her face was orange and the other half black. What a
sweetheart. Wish I could have had her for a lot longer. > > “I am not
interested to know whether vivisection produces results that are profitable to
the human race or doesn’t….the pain which it inflicts upon unconsenting animals
is the basis of my enmity toward it, and it is to me sufficient justification
of the enmity without looking further.” – Mark Twain > > > Date: Mon, 15 Oct
2012 19:06:48 -0500 > > From: dlg...@windstream.net > > To:
felvtalk@felineleukemia.org > > Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Interferon > > CC:
molvey...@hotmail.com > > > > That is the way it was with Nitnoy. We never
really had the time to decide on treatment before she was gone. I keep thinking
there is something I missed and should have seen. > > > > > > ----
"molvey...@hotmail.com" > wrote: > Lisa, You were lucky because 9 1/2 years is
a long time for a FeLV cat, especially if he had it as a kitten. Most cats that
had FeLV as a kitten don't live past 3 years. Many live less than a year. If
you were giving him interferon then maybe that was it. I have heard of some
that lived about that long but not too often if they got it as a kitten from
their mom. One vet told me about one that lived until it was 18. I kind of
wonder if the vet was smoking dope cause that's really odd. I had one that died
at 2 years old that had a mediastinal tumor. Like Prancer she was fine then one
day her breathing became labored. Before the vet and I could even discuss what
to do she died. At the time I did not know she had FeLV because she tested
negative as a kitten. They didn't see the tumor on X-ray because of all the
fluid so we did a necropsy to see where the fluid was coming from. Sure enough
the vet found this large tumor and it had actually punctured her heart and the
fluid in her chest was all blood. Then the vet got curious and did a combo test
and found the FeLV. My guess is that most likely the tumor would have
eventually ruptured Prancer's heart too so you probably did the best thing for
Prancer. I didn't know they could treat those kinds of tumors. In my cat's case
it was too late when we found it but I'm glad to know that in case something
comes up in the future. Maureen Sent from my HTC Inspire™ 4G on AT&T -----
Reply message ----- From: "Terri Brown" > To: > Subject: [Felvtalk] Interferon
Date: Fri, Oct 12, 2012 3:23 pm I used interferon with Salome'. I started her
on it when she was about 3 years old, and I gave it to her as often as I could
get a hold of it. Salome' lived to be 9 1/2 years old, and she died from liver
failure. Hope that helps! T =^..^= Terri, Guinevere, Travis, Dori, Kimiko and 8
furangels: Ruthie, Samantha, Arielle, Gareth, Alec, Salome, Sammi and Siggie
the Tomato Vampire =^..^= ----- Original Message ----- From: Lisa Conner To:
felvtalk@felineleukemia.org Sent: Friday, October 12, 2012 1:48 PM Subject:
[Felvtalk] Interferon Hi All, I think everyone was so hung up with this
politcal debate, no one saw my 2 questions on Interferon and the length of
years a Felv + cat has lived. Ok- so, I joined when my 9 + year old boy,
Prancer became very sick..literally overnight. He breathing was extremely
labored and I rushed him to the Emergency Vet. They said he was critical , and
didn’t think he was going to make it. May be best to put him to sleep since he
was Felv+ and needed oxygen and and his gums were pale. That night they
extracted 3 ½ cups of fluid from his lungs. Thank goodness, because that saved
his life. In the morning we transferred him to our regular vet and our vet
thought it was his heart. He was right. The ultrasound showed a huge mass tumor
at the base of his heart. The vet wasn’t sure how much time Prancer had,
however, he said it might be a day or week, depending on how much fluid built
up in his lung area. Within 4 days, the fluid was back and I could not have him
suffer as I lost my Dad to the the suffering of congestive heart failure (with
build up of fluid in the lungs). So, my vet believes that Interferon might have
helped Prancer over the years, since in all his years in practice, they have
not seen a cat like Prancer, great health for 9 ½ years, but be Felv +. Has
anyone in this group used Interferon with their cats and what is the typical
avg span life for Felv+ cats?